Pixel 6 Unable to Recieve SMS & MMS Messages
BrendanLynch
Enthusiast - Level 1

Device: Pixel 6 (Unlocked)

SIM Type: eSIM (this issue occurs with Physical SIM cards as well)

I had the unlocked variant of the Google Pixel 6 for roughly 9 months and have had nothing but issues. Every couple of weeks I run into the same frustrating issue over and over.

Issue: device is unable to recieve SMS and MMS messages. Device is still able to recieve RCS. Sending messages works without issue on SMS, RCS, and MMS

Steps attempted to resolve issue:

• Restart device
  • Ensure message apps (Google Messages & Verizon Message Plus) are up to date
  • Ensure OS is up to date
  • Clear app data of Messages & Verizon Message Plus
  • Boot device into safe mode
  • Reset Wi-Fi, mobile, & Bluetooth
  • Verify device is provisioned as CDMA-less
  • Erase eSIM and reissue

The only way I've found to get my phone to start recieving SMS/MMS messages again is to switch between SIM types (i.e. eSIM to physical SIM or vise versa). However, this is only a temporary fix as the issue consistently pops back up in 1-3 weeks. 

Cycle:

• Device stops recieving SMS/MMS messages
  • After troubleshooting with customer service the SIM Type is swapped (i.e. eSIM to Physical) as a last ditch effort
  • Device begins working again 
  • After 1-3 weeks device stops recieving SMS/MMS messages

Things I've noticed seem to trigger this issue:

• Nothing
  • Changing any SIM or service setting either on the device itself (i.e. enabling SIM lock) or on Verizon's website will often result in the issue occuring within 24 hours
  • Adding another carrier's eSIM

• Having exhausted every troubleshooting technique I can perform on my side, I suspect that this is likely issue with Verizon's backend configuration or provisioning configuration for the Unlocked variant of the Pixel 6. 

Side Note: During my previous conversation with support they decided to escalate my case. However, whichever technician was assigned decided to attempt to TEXT ME to ask me if my service was working instead of calling me. Then, after not receiving a response closed the ticket (side not Verizon, if someone is having issue recieving text messages DON'T TRY TO REACH OUT TO THEM VIA TEXT WHEN RESPONDING TO TICKETS, especially when the customer explicitly opted for email notifications for updates on that ticket).

Labels (1)
Re: Pixel 6 Unable to Recieve SMS & MMS Messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for going into so much detail in your description, BrendanLynch. From what you have described, there is a good chance that this issue is being caused by the provisioning on your line. In just a moment, you should receive a Private Note from us. Please reply there, so we can start looking further into this issue with you.

*Gabriel

0 Likes
CyBuzz73
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has been an issue for years with no resolution. I had this happen a year ago

https://community.verizon.com/t5/Google/Google-Pixel-6-PRO-not-receiving-text-messages-hotspot-issue...

and it had to get escalated and get me an e-sim to fix it. It happened again about a month ago and i had to call and get it escalated(and they texted me to update me) to get it fixed. it happened again yesterday.  I didnt realize it until all my text messages came in at noon today....some from last night.

It is very frustrating since there is more and more reliance on text messages and Verizon seems to not be able to pinpoint the issue.

the rest of my family does not ever have issues on their iPhones so I am pretty sure it is an incompatibility between the Pixel and verizon. I am not going to switch to an iPhone but i would be happy to switch to another provider. I wonder if this behavior is specific to the Pixel line. It appears there are posts on this on google message boards for the Pixel 7 also. Seems like it is a verizon/pixel thing as the people that had a P7 switched to a samsung and didnt have the issue. Looks like i might need to switch phone providers

Tags (1)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would love to help with the concerns you have. What troubleshooting steps have taken place to help out? *Heaven

0 Likes
CyBuzz73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Troubleshooting is a joke.  Verizon makes you reset everything and at one point I had to do a factory reset which is a pain to do since you have to set EVERYTHING back up. What a waste of time. Then they send you to first, second or third level support and it magically gets fixed.  This has happened to me at least 3 times with it magically working after a new sim or e-sim or reprovision or whatever. Verizon will not put the time into figuring this out since it is still occurring to both Pixel 6 and 7 devices. This is ABSOLUTELY a Verizon problem. It is well documented both on Verizon and Google message boards. I have friends on Fi with pixel devices with NO issues whatsoever. Verizon refuses to fix this issue and no amount of troubleshooting with the customer is going to make a difference. We all know how important SMS is....in fact to get logged in to post, i had to verify by SMS.

It might be time to move on from Verizon to a reliable provider.

CyBuzz73
Enthusiast - Level 2

🤣

I guess they don’t want to help.

😂

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us. Please follow and PM us, so we can further assist you with your concern.

*Mabell

0 Likes
CHIKUR8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I noticed today I have this same issue. I have a Pixel 6 I bought directly from Google and switched to Verizon two or so months ago. The last SMS I received is from 5:11 pm yesterday. I can send messages but cannot receive. 

Please help ASAP as I am missing messages from my boss and I am unable to log into applications for work due to being unable to satisfy two-factor authentication. 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that I rely on text messages as my main form of communication, CHIKUR8. It would be concerning to me if this was happening with my device, and I too would be reaching out for help, and we are here to do just that. Please be on the lookout for a private note from us, so we can better assist.

-Joseph

0 Likes
mweinstock314
Enthusiast - Level 2

All the "private chats" do is take the discussion out of the public arena. I have a similar problem (can't send or receive) at times. They reset something on the back end and eventually, all my old texts show up. I don't think the old texts that I sent ever go out.

The advice is the same whether you get it in a private chat, by calling Verizon, or some other mechanism. Reset your device while they change "something" on the back end. Eventually things work.

Rinse, repeat.

Tech support is completely transactional. They don't care what actually caused the problem if they can fix it for now and let someone else deal with it next time it happens.

The problem here is that SMS is a key method of communication. If Verizon can't do something as basic as SMS, something is really wrong. Or maybe they choose not to do anything about it.