Pixel + Android 10 leading to "Roaming" indicator being on
jvfage
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just updated my Pixel 3 phone to the new Android 10.  As of last night, my phone displays "Preferred system" at the top where it used to say "Verizon Wireless" and there is a "R" next to the signal strength indicator.  Based on the thread at https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/15864710?hl=en, numerous other users are now encountering this issue, and we are spread out across the country so it's not just my phone that is having this problem. 

Workarounds in that thread include trying a factory reset or obtaining a new SIM card.  Is there a suggested path forward here?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pixel + Android 10 leading to "Roaming" indicator being on
jvfage
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone following along...

Based on replies to the other forum thread I was monitoring, such as this one, I forced my Pixel to check for a security update today.  Upon installing the newest security update, the phone no longer indicates it is Roaming and it is back to displaying Verizon as the network. Hooray!  So I never needed to do a factory reset or get a new SIM card.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TJ_11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just posted about this same thing after my searches now showing any other posts. I went into Roaming today and can't get it resolved. Thanks for posting the link to the other thread you saw. This update has been a huge headache

0 Likes
jvfage
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree, the Android 10 update has caused some other strange issues too. Will you be going to the Verizon store to sort it out? If so, I’d be curious to hear how it goes...I might need to do the same.

0 Likes
malaysiamerican
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for posting. Same situation with a Pixel 2. Have tried calling *228 to reset, but to no avail. Hopefully they develop a patch, as it is impacting service and data speeds.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are seeing this can be fixed by a Factory Data Reset. Have you had the chance to perform that step yet?

TabithaJ_VZW

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@malaysiamerican wrote:

Thanks for posting. Same situation with a Pixel 2. Have tried calling *228 to reset, but to no avail. Hopefully they develop a patch, as it is impacting service and data speeds.

*228 should not be used to reset the Preferred Roaming List (unless you have an older basic phone); rebooting the phone or briefly removing the SIM card resets the PRL.

0 Likes
jvfage
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are seeing this can be fixed by a Factory Data Reset. Have you had the chance to perform that step yet?

TabithaJ_VZW

Hello,

I have not performed a factory reset because the thread I referenced in the original post indicated that people have had mixed results with doing that.  In some cases, that seemed to fix it, while others have had to get a new SIM card.  I am about to travel and wanted to take the safest course of action because I don't have much time for troubleshooting and/or setting things back up.

0 Likes
jvfage
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone following along...

Based on replies to the other forum thread I was monitoring, such as this one, I forced my Pixel to check for a security update today.  Upon installing the newest security update, the phone no longer indicates it is Roaming and it is back to displaying Verizon as the network. Hooray!  So I never needed to do a factory reset or get a new SIM card.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It seems this is an issue that has been reported with some of these model devices and in certain areas only. It seems to be a software-related issue; however, Google has not reported this as a known issue to us yet. You can contact Google directly at 855-971-9123 to see if they can provide more details regarding this concern.

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly understand how extremely busy many of our customers are and we always value your time. The factory reset option for your device is only recommended when all other troubleshooting steps have been exhausted. As a friendly reminder, a factory reset restores the device back to its original factory settings and often helps resolves equipment and/or service issues. However, before you consider doing a factory reset on your device, it's very important to make sure you're using cloud services to back up your stored data (e.g. contacts, pictures, videos, music, call history, documents, etc.) or you'll lose the data on your device. I certainly don't want that to happen. We've also noted that you don't have much time for troubleshooting and/or setting things back up for your device and that you're looking to take the safest course of action to resolve the issues with your device. We offer the option of "Hands-on" troubleshooting assistance for your device by visiting any of our corporate store locations. If the issue you're experiencing with your mobile device can be resolved for you by providing you with a new SIM Card free of charge, we'd gladly do so. We will do everything to resolve the issues you're experiencing with your device and/or its service (e.g. Pixel + Android 10 leading to "Roaming" indicator being on). Due to the urgency of this matter and if needed, you can locate the closest Verizon corporate store near you by visiting our store locator website at http://spr.ly/660111ERz. We'd like to continue working with you here. Which option works best for you? - RobertC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes