Re: Pixel OEM Unlocking Support
rcschnoor
Legend

@pkc415 wrote:

Is it possible to use a SIM from another carrier without unlocking Verizon's bootloader?

Yes it is. When a phone is purchased from Verizon it is locked to Verizon service only for 60 days after which time Verizon automatically unlocks it so that you can use a SIM card from another provider. Keep in mind that not all Verizon devices are compatible with other carriers. You can read Verizon's unlocking policy at the following link.

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

If what you're saying it's true then it won't work with T-Mobile & AT&T (2 largest wireless carriers) because I have tried both & just get a SIM card isn't supported message.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

A Pixel phone should be compatible with those carriers. If you purchased the device from Verizon, when did you do so? How long was the device on an active Verizon plan?

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased the pixel 4xl in October last year & Verizon confirmed it's already unlocked. Since then, I have tried T-Mobile, AT&T & prepaid SIM card from overseas and none of them work! 

I have conference called Verizon & Google techs numerous times & no luck, they just blame on each other. So I don't know where to go from here......so frustrating!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, lyonster. It's not a matter of us of stepping up. We can not give you details to purposely void the manufactures warranty and recommendation to not load third party operating systems on your devices. There is plenty of information online that will teach how to load ROM's and a boot loader services but we do not encourage doing this to be done to your device. Hopefully this information clarifies your concerns. TaylorH_VZW

0 Likes
lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

@TaylorH_VZW

We have established that Verizon does in fact lock the bootloader of the phone evidenced by the fact that when Google sells the phones the bootloader is not locked. But when that same phone is purchased from Verizon the bootloader is locked. 

Can you help me understand why Verizon encrypts/locks the bootloader of the phones? 

rcschnoor
Legend

Instead of Verizon actually locking the bootloader, it is probably more likely Google does so at the request of Verizon.

But yes, the fact remains phones Google sells directly to consumers without being the Verizon version of the device have unlocked bootloaders while the Verizon version of the device, whether sold by Verizon, Best Buy, Google or any other retailer have locked bootloaders.

pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

rcschnoor,

Can you resolve my issue?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Sorry, but no. I am just another Verizon customer. I just have not purchased a Verizon phone in many years. Mostly because that means I don't have to pay an upgrade fee but a side benefit is that the bootloader on my Pixel device is unlocked.

Regardless, I can't understand why your Verizon Pixel does not work with a SIM card from another provider. While you purchased it from Verizon, it should have been unlocked for use with other providers once the 60 day period has expired as long as the device is active on Verizon at that time.

Did you purchase the device on a payment plan? If so, have you paid off the device. The only thing I can think is if you have not paid off the device in full, you may be stuck with using the device on Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pkc415

Verizon Wireless has established the following Device Unlocking Policy that is consistent with the standards established by the device unlocking policies of the Consumption Code of the Association of the Cellular Telecommunications Industry (CTIA) for smartphones and tablets, etc. Starting July 23, 2019: all smartphones with SIM lock capability will be blocked on the Verizon network for 60 days after purchase. Includes all smartphones purchased in postpaid or prepaid plans. Smartphones will automatically unlock after 60 days if the account has not been flagged for fraud or if the device was reported lost/stolen. For more information read our unlock policy: https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

EdwardL_VZW

0 Likes