Re: Pixel OEM Unlocking Support
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

Christopher,

I know for a fact when the device is purchased directly from the mfg unlocked, the bootloader's unlocked. Which means I can use a SIM card from any part of the country. But with a device purchased from Verizon the bootloader's locked forever which means I can't use a prepaid SIM card from overseas.

I had contacted Google & Verizon numerous times with no luck, both just blaming each other. I purchased the device last October & til this day I still cannot use a SIM from another carrier. Verizon had confirmed my device's already unlocked but I think it's bogus!

The OEM unlocking option should be active under developer options but mine's still grayed out. Are there any resolution to this?! I paid full retail for this & expects to be an unlocked world phone.

0 Likes
lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is from the Verizon Rep in my last comment "we know you were hoping to get access to the bootloader but we have no process to support this". 

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

Someone on Google forum stated that Verizon was able to fix this problem for him. He had to tweet @GD0405 to get the help. I tried it but haven't gotten a response yet.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/23287873?hl=en&msgid=43517085

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having issues using our device with a different carrier pkc415. We can not guarantee our phones will work with other carriers. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. 

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

You mean an unlocked Verizon Pixel 4XL won't work with T-Mobile or AT&T? The 2 largest wireless carriers......

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help as much as possible, pkc415. You can review our device unlocking policy by clicking here: http://spr.ly/66011CwaL ChrisM_VZW

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why am I always given a vague answer? It's simply a yes or no question. If you don't know please ask a higher tier tech support. Thank you.

lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

From a conversation I had on Twitter with @#VZWSupport

VZWSupport - "What exactly are you trying to do with the devices? *LXG"

Me - "I would like to load custom ROMs to the device."

VZWSupport - "Hello, (lyonster89). We do not have information on how to load ROM's on your device and do not advise doing this action as it voids the warranty of the device. Was there anything else I could help with? *TXH"

Me - "Can you give me access to unlock the bootloader from the phones I purchased from Verizon?"

VZWSupport - "No, we don't have the resources or information to this update to your phone. *TXH"

Their customer service knows they are unable to unlock the bootloader of phones and nobody is stepping up to figure this out. 

0 Likes
pkc415
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is it possible to use a SIM from another carrier without unlocking Verizon's bootloader?

0 Likes
lyonster89
Enthusiast - Level 3

>>"Is it possible to use a SIM from another carrier without unlocking Verizon's bootloader?"

Yes. Verizon can push an update to their phone that will allow it to be used by other carriers. This is called 'unlocking' the phone. This is not the same as unlocking the bootloader of the phone. Their 'unlocking' policy (linked above) talks about when and why they will 'unlock' your phone. OEM Unlocking is a function of the phone that Verizon has disabled, thus removing the ability for the customers that purchase these phones to be able to load their own operating systems onto the phone (ROMs). 

0 Likes