Re: Pixel OEM Unlocking Support
TheRealRooster

Yes, this is all crazy.  Verizon purposely locks the bootloader on all their phones then plays ignorant.  Looks like it's us consumers who are getting played by Verizon.

0 Likes
Bf2multi100
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yep. 

I had to bite the bullet and buy a pixel 5 from google, just for the rooting ability.

Cost me a bit more up front, but I'm typing this message on my proton OS and rooted with magisk pixel 5 happily. 

With stock OS I had about 2 days worth of use, I'm at 20% battery and haven't charged it since last Saturday. But I've only had about 3.5 hours of screen time.

Hoping for better results as the OS learns my battery.

0 Likes
Pow5

I'm also furious about this.

I just ordered a trial SIM card for Mint Mobile on Amazon, which costs a dollar for a week of service to try it out. If it works for me, then Verizon's lost my family's business (we pay >$400 a month).

Even if it doesn't work, I'm never buying a phone from Verizon again. I don't care about promotions, treating customers like this is not a business practice I'll accept.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'd never want to see you go and want to ensure you're happy with your service, Pow5. Please tell us more about what has you wanting to make this change.

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Marteeeen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too need to enable System - Developer Options - OEM Unlocking on my Google Pixel 3 phone.  It used to be a good phone, but ever since upgrading to Android 11 last Sept/Oct, the phone shuts off randomly with a low battery icon.  It will not turn back on until I connect it to a charger (then it will report not 0% but something like 83% battery).  Now I'm lucky to get 5 minutes of use out of it.  If I try to take a picture, forget about it.  My phone is now tied to the charger.  If I went hiking in the woods - I wouldn't be able to make an emergency phone call - the Wrong Turn guys would win.  My daughters also have Pixels, one of which was purchased at the same time as mine.  Neither have upgraded to Android 11 and neither have any issues.

I hate to have to purchase another phone.  I want to try to downgrade to Android 10 before giving up.  I've tried adb sideload of Android 10, but it won't allow me to because of the timestamp on the OTA is older than what's installed.  Anyway, (now thinking about it) I'm not even sure if unlocking the bootloader would help for that problem.  But anyway, is Verizon helping customers to unlock the bootloader or are you still refusing to do it?   (The phone is paid off, out of warranty and I fully accept any and all responsibility for damage to the phone/data.)  The phone is pretty much garbage at this point, and this is my last-ditch attempt at reviving it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Marteeeen, we're sorry to hear about the battery issues you've been experiencing with your Google Pixel 3. We know that having a fully functional phone is key to keeping you connected, and we definitely don't want the Wrong Turn peeps to get you! While we don't have access to the bootloader option, we can definitely help you complete some other troubleshooting. Please tell us, does the issue happen when you enable Safe Mode? https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-207813/ Also, has a factory data reset been completed on your device since you updated to Android 11?

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes
Marteeeen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to hijack this thread.  But yes, this happens in safe mode.  I've tried uninstalling apps, disabling all kinds of features/gestures, factory reset - reinstalled Android 11.  I've been tinkering with this for many moons now.  I don't believe it is a battery issue.  (I now may have a battery issue because of all of this.)  If there's anyway that you can help me get downgraded to Android 10 (that is my end goal) - either by defeating the timestamp check or unlocking the bootloader or some other knowledge - it would be appreciated.   Preferably, off of this discussion group (is there way to start a different discussion or e-mail?)  I feel this is a very important thread and don't want to get off-topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have a working device. You can certainly send us a Private Note and we would be happy to help with your device concerns. 

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
VerizonIsMean
Enthusiast - Level 1

We can't obtain root permissions without being able to go through OEM Unlocking. Your replies are belittling to your customers, don't talk to us as if we were fools. We know how GOOGLE sells the devices vs how the VERIZON branded ones come. We know the problem, and we know that per contractual agreement in the Google/Verizon partnership Verizon had the Android developers disable any ability to unlock the bootloader under the guise of protecting the network from abuses. 

We choose Verizon because it is the best, and in return we get treated like this.

0 Likes
VerizonIsMean
Enthusiast - Level 1
Spoiler
CAUSE WHEN A PERSON OWNS THEIR DEVICE AND THEY WANT TO RUN AN AD BLOCKER OR SOME OPEN SOURCED OS ON THE PHONE LIKE GOOGLE ENCOURAGES USERS OF THEIR DEVICES TO DO, BUT VERIZON CARES IF SOMEONE ROOTS THEIR PHONE TO RUN IT AS A FRIGGIN INTERNET MODEM WHY DOES IT MATTER TO YOU HOW THE DATA IS USED IT'S GETTING PAID FOR ANYWAYS. HAVE SOMEONE FROM CORPORATE TALK TO US INSTEAD. 
0 Likes