Poor Reception zipcode 12540
Tsnor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Over the last few years my cell coverage has gone from great to terrible.     I am at -114 dBM 26 asu on LTE and worse on my other options.  There are 4 phones in the house and they all used to get great signal and now all see the same weak signal.

I've switched to wifi phone to get rid of the constant phone drops.   But this defeats the purpose of having a cell data plan so that if I lose cable internet I can use the verizon network.  Instead if I lose cable I lose phone too.

(1) How do I report this in case this is an infrastructure problem that should get fixed.   It is not a short term problem, but might be equipment down.

(2) How do I learn the long term plan for my area.  Long term the signal strength is not livable... I'd need to switch if it won't get better.

(3) Any suggestions for a long term work around?   I consider switching to WIFI calling more short term than permanent.

(yes the Pixel board is probably the wrong place to post this, but I have 3 pixel 1's in service, all have the signal strength problem and I couldn't find a better place to post.  Any guidance on where to post appreciated)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor Reception zipcode 12540
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tsnor, I would be just as concerned over the huge decrease in service, in your home. I know how important it is to stay connected at all times. 

In review of the location you provided, 12540, I see there is a tower about a mile and a half away. Does service get better when you leave your home? How far do you have to travel, for better service? Have we opened a Ticket for this issue?

You mentioned WiFi Calling is a short term solution. All newer phones are designed to have WiFi Calling, as it is the best indoor solution. Across all carriers/all make/model phones.  

Please elaborate to better assist you. 

VanessaS_VZW

Tsnor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Outdoors the signal is still bad.  Walking 1/2 mile loop in the neighborhood gives roughly the same signal strength -- slightly better to the west.   

"Have we opened a Ticket for this issue?"  Not yet.  Can you point me to a post that explains how to do that ?  

We have WIFI calling set up.  It works.  Sometimes the call has gaps / is garbled.

0 Likes
Tsnor
Enthusiast - Level 2

re:  ",,You mentioned WiFi Calling is a short term solution. All newer phones are designed to have WiFi Calling, as it is the best indoor solution. Across all carriers/all make/model phones.  "

Problem is when the cable fails I lose Phone as well as internet.  If I can get a phone signal then I have phone/internet if EITHER Verizon or cable is up.  Long term I want both cable and phone coverage, not phone coverage only when I am away from my house.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The most important responsibility we have is to keep our customers connected. I'd like to take a closer look at your account and options to assist you. Please send us a Private Message. - Carter

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are all set with your service as needed and would like to review your account in more detail. Please send us a private message to further review your concerns. 

0 Likes
Tsnor
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bad result so far.   I chatted with support.  Got ticket.  Result is:

1.  I am in a good zone for LTE

2. But for some reason the signal strength is bad when they measured it.

3. But they have a solution -- this happy little video:  www.vzw.com/signal

which says basically use your other internet provider to give you phone service via wifi or you can pay us to get you a coverage extender.   

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're glad to hear you got your results back. The good news is, when a ticket is created it lets us know there is a problem in the area so it goes into our research and planning for future towers and coverage changes. Did you have any questions about Wi-Fi Calling or the network extenders? 

Melissa_VZW

0 Likes
Tsnor
Enthusiast - Level 2

My only thought is Verizon has chosen not to provide wireless service to my house.  They had excellent service 3 years ago.  They sent a team and know they have bad service now.   

This is not the action I expected from the "best network".   I pay about $2000/year to Verizon for phone.  (5 lines). 

Thanks for asking " Did you have any questions about Wi-Fi Calling or the network extenders? "

I know how to use my cable internet as a phone.  I don't even need a wireless service to do that.

Re "network extenders" what is typical price from verizon?  Using google these seem to be $500 devices.  At that price its a non-starter.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tsnor, we can definitely clarify your Network Extender inquiry. The Network Extender we provide is $250 unless your area is determined to be one where LTE coverage is insufficient then there may be an option for you to receive one on loan. It does rely on residential Internet in order to work. You'll find more details on it here:  https://www.verizon.com/products/samsung-4g-lte-network-extender-2/?sku=sku2490003. Some customers do provide their own booster (such weBoost) that isn't reliant on Wi-Fi in order to work and those booster types may cost significantly more. 

EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes