Retail demo mode
Snookume

I have the Pixel. I woke up this morning to see Retail Demo Mode on the phone that McAfee caught as a threat and I can't remove it. I checked system administrators, I tried to disable it or force stop it and nothing works. Weird that I was just in the store yesterday.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Retail demo mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Snookume, we know how important it is to have a device that's working properly for you. We would be more than happy to assist you in removing your Pixel from the Retail Demo Mode. Please follow the instructions below:

Step 1:  Hold the Power button on the right side of the phone until the dialogue box appears. Tap Power Off.

Step 2:  Restart by holding Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.

Step 3:  Now in Fastboot mode, tap Volume Down twice to highlight Recovery Mode.

Step 4:  Press Power button to initiate Recovery Mode.

Step 5:  Tap Volume Down four times to highlight Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

Step 6:  Press Power button to initiate Factory Reset.

Step 7:  Tap Volume Down button to highlight Yes.

Step 8:   Press Power button to select Yes.

Step 9:  Device formatting will begin.

Step 10:  Once the data wipe is complete, Reboot System Now will be highlighted. Press Power button to reboot the device and enter the setup wizard.

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Retail demo mode
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

samanthat_vzw,

The OP isn't asking how to get the phone off of the Retail Demo Mode. The anti-virus (McAfee) application on their phone is claiming that the retail demo mode application is a threat to the security of the phone. I too had this notification on my phone. After some web searches I determined this alert is a FALSE POSITIVE as the application for the retail demo mode is built into the OS of the phone and can't be removed or disabled.

Retail Demo Mode  |  Android Open Source Project

To the OP, tell the McAfee application to ignore this false positive.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes