Text Messaging Not Working After Swapped SIM
BigHammy

I swapped the SIM card from my Pixel XL to my new Pixel 5a and can no longer receive text messages.  I can make phone calls and receive WhatsApp messages, but can't receive messages through the default messaging app.  I've switched my default app from Signal to the default Messages, but this has not cleared up the issue.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text Messaging Not Working After Swapped SIM
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We can help, BigHammy, not to worry. Is this new Pixel device from Verizon or directly unlocked from the manufacturer?  

-Joey

0 Likes
fuzzyking56

I have the same issue moving from Pixel 3  to a  new,  unlocked  5a.  

I had  same issue, then researched and found  the google  forum that said to use the google app to change registry, But the problem is that it was texting the security codes still to the old phone so I never  saw the codes, which after too many requests, the registry locked.

I tried putting the SIMM back in  the Pixel 3 and  turning off  chat per  instructions on  forum and moving simm back to the 5a, It looks   like the 5a connected, but still can   only send ,   not receive texts.

Is there a minimum  time needed for all the servers to refresh in order for things to work?

THX 

r

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry for the inconvenience as we want to ensure you can receive your messages. Please send us a Private Note and we can investigate the messaging settings further. -Yale

0 Likes
gabaloruiz

Hi, I'm having same issue with my new 5a...

I also try to update device in my profile (including new IMEI number).

after completing all steps successfully, I restarted my device just to fing out system still showed old phone...

also, no luck receiving any text message...

any help please.....

School uses text to communicate with parents...I'm concern now....

thanks,

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

gabaloruiz, we certainly want you to be able to be reached. I would be concerned as well especially if my child's school was unable to reach me. Thank you for taking the steps you completed thus far. Are you getting an error message? Can you send text messages? What messaging application are you using?-Tionna

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wonder if the line needs to be provisioned for CDMA-less text messages. The Pixel XL might have been capable of VoLTE calls, but it might have also had the ability to fall back to the CDMA network for calls and text messages. The new phone doesn't have that ability. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes