The DNS server has the IP of a Verizon private user 141.207.131.254
vu20200406
Enthusiast - Level 1

I visited the website ipleak.net to see the many servers that my data would travel through, and I was surprised to see that only one server, with a private user ip address showed as the DNS server, 141.207.131.254 .

Below I include a screenshot of what the ipleak website showed:

Screenshot_20200406-213010.png

Can you help me figure out why my DNS server shows the ip address of a Verizon private user? As opposed to a chain of enterprise grade Verizon servers

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: The DNS server has the IP of a Verizon private user 141.207.131.254
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The LTE network of Verizon Wireless assigns private IP addresses through a NAT. This is why business customers who need a public IP address for their Jetpack, Mifi, or USB modem have to pay a $500 fee to get a public IP address assigned to the device. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Dang, I had a big technical response typed up but I lost it. : (

The summary of my research concludes that this is a client side problem and not something that VZW can assist you with. The IP Address you are concerned about appears to belong to myvwz.com, not a Verizon user Private IP Address.

Verizon deals out IPs to its 4G LTE users over the 100.x.x.x segment. You wouldnt be able to contact a VZW private user unless they were able to contact you first, due to the nature of the NAT firewall. This is why folks need to work around the 4G LTE NAT firewall with VPNs and purchase public IPs as Ann has described. IPLeak.net shows you leaks from your machine, not leaks from Verizon's connection to you. Your machine is leaking these requests either through additional network adapters or misconfigured applications. More network tracing would be required to confirm exactly what is going on and that kind of troubleshooting goes beyond the scope of this forum.

If you have more specific questions then feel free to ask. Or if you care to share more context about what it is that you are trying to do maybe we can help you figure out a better way to accomplish your goal.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to make sure that you get the answers you seek, vu20200406. However, can you clarify what specifically you are trying to understand with this information and what your concern is? Are you a Verizon Wireless customer currently?

RyanM_VZW

0 Likes