Unable to retrieve VM over WiFi Calling
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

See subject. Call history will show the VM recevied. It will offer to play it. But it will then report "Unable to retireve" or something like that when you attempt to do so. My wife and I are both experiencing this problem on our unlocked (Google store, non-VZW) Pixel 2s.

VM via long press 1 in dialer works fine.

Another user experiencing this problem has attempted a Factory Data Reset and it solved nothing.

How do we get this to work as expected and work over WiFi Calling as it works over the wireless network?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to retrieve VM over WiFi Calling
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do want you to have great options with us. We want to clarify what is available. Currently Basic voicemail is supported when calling *86 or long pressing on 1 to call voicemail while on Wi-Fi.

However, Basic Visual Voicemail is not currently supported while on Wi-Fi. So the app would not display your voicemails like it normaly does when connected to our cellular service.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the importance of being able to retrieve your voice mail, dwatson808. Has this ever worked properly while using WiFi Calling? Do you have basic voice mail or premium voice mail?

AndreaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Basic voicemail. Never works as expected over WiFi Calling. Works exactly as expected over wireless. Can long press 1 over WiFi Calling and retrieve VM. Just the phone app support in clal history, etc., "cannot retrieve". I'd have to send myself a VM to screenshot and/or provide exact text.Can do if that would be helpful.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We do want you to have great options with us. We want to clarify what is available. Currently Basic voicemail is supported when calling *86 or long pressing on 1 to call voicemail while on Wi-Fi.

However, Basic Visual Voicemail is not currently supported while on Wi-Fi. So the app would not display your voicemails like it normaly does when connected to our cellular service.

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Got it.

To recap: "Basic" visual voicemail as presently implemented by VZW is whoilly dependent on mobile data connectivity and does not work over the Internet, So, if you are dependent on WiFi Calling in certain locations because you do not have wireless voice coverage--so you probably have even greater problems with wireless data coverage--"basic" visual voicemail, the thing that looks like the image below, will NOT work for you. Google Voice voicemail may be a better option for your case.

Screenshot_20180506-071308.png

Telephone number removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

I should have added: when "basic" visual voicemail is not working, you can revert to "basic" basic voicemail; VM the old-fashioned flip-phone way: *86, or long press 1, or calling your own number and pressing # to escape the outgoing message when the VM answers.

0 Likes
Enthusiast - Level 1

You keep stressing the point that basic Visual Voicemail does not work, but you say nothing about premium visual voicemail, will that work? 

0 Likes
wadeowen307
Contributor - Level 1

I do not think Visual Voicemail works over Wi-Fi, period. It doesn't matter it it's the basic or premium version. However, Verizon Wireless also provides Visual Voicemail service for iPhones through Apple, and Wi-Fi Calling can be used to access Visual Voicemail on an iPhone.

EugeneP11
Enthusiast - Level 2

This isn't a solution! It is an explanation and a useless one at that. How do you set up voicemail you can actually retrieve over wifi? I just want to know when I have a message!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus
Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.
0 Likes