Verizon Messages adding wrong country code (+54) to phone contacts
kaelkro
Enthusiast - Level 2

For a while now my Messages has been randomly choosing to send my messages to either the normal, contact number (Jane Doe, 555-555-5555) or to the number with an Argentinian country code tacked on (+54 9 555-555-5555). The messages still get where they're going but it's a problem because my conversations with most contacts are now split between the two "different" numbers and group conversations are heck.

Has this problem ever been seen and addressed before?? I'd be pretty relieved to fix this somehow.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Messages adding wrong country code (+54) to phone contacts
kaelkro
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what my Messages look likeThis is what my Messages look like

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want your messages to work properly for your phone, kaelkro. We are here to help. 

Since this issue started, have you reviewed your contacts to ensure the numbers listed on the contacts have been changed? Have you tested your text messages with the native messaging app on your phone to see if the same issue happens with that app? 

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
kaelkro
Enthusiast - Level 2

In my Contacts, all numbers are as I originally entered them, without a country code.

I believe that I am using the native messaging app--it is titled "Messages" and its icon is blue with a white text box. Forgive me if I confused my terminology.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information. Are you able to send us a screenshot of what you see in the messages? This way we can take a closer look at what could be happening with your contacts. 

RogerZ_VZW

0 Likes
demios
Enthusiast - Level 1

Has anyone responded with a solution to this? I have been having this same issue for over a month now..  It typically seems to happens to replies to texts - the number comes back in the reply with the +54 9 added to the numbers. It's random, it doesnt always happen but it does happen alot. It breaks up "conversations" which is super frustrating. I use a Pixel 3

demios
Enthusiast - Level 1

can customer support please readdress this topic?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

demios,

We can relate to how important it is that you are able to message with ease. Help is here. When did the concerns begin? Is this happening with all or specific contacts?KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
fshrcat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your response indicates that you are treating it as a customer-caused problem. The fact that three unrelated accounts are having the SAME issue - with the Argentina " +54 9 "prefix means that it is happening on Verizon's end. No, the phone numbers in the Contacts are unchanged, this just started happening, and it is affecting every single phone number I try to access through Verizon Messages. I have a Moto G5+ for FWIW.

Re: Verizon Messages adding wrong country code (+54) to phone contacts: SOLVED
fshrcat
Enthusiast - Level 2

Found the answer! Overnight, my "message" settings changed so that "Your current country" had been reset to Argentina. To fix: Messages>settings>Your current country>United States

Hopefully nothing else on the phone changed overnight....