Verizon shipping phones without SIM cards
tomHardly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a replacement "certified like new" Pixel 6 Pro under warranty (defect in the touchscreen on the old phone). When it arrived, I couldn't activate it as there was no SIM card installed. So I call Verizon and they say I have to go to the Verizon store to get one installed. Very annoying, but okay. I'm trying to get this set up today because I'm leaving town tomorrow.

Well I go to the Verizon store and they say "no, we don't have any SIMs, I don't know why they told you that." Calling around to the other Verizon stores in the area got the same answer. So after sitting on the phone with Verizon for another hour, they say they're shipping a SIM card out and it will take a few days, so I have to travel with a non-functional phone. Meanwhile, I keep getting reminders that I have to return the old phone within 5 days or I'll be charged full price, and I just know that they're going to mess that up too and charge me before I've even had a chance to activate the new phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon shipping phones without SIM cards
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey tomHardly, we have sent you a private note for the proper resolution expected. 

>Pedro

0 Likes
tomHardly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure if this is a bot or a real person, but I don't see how you could possibly resolve this. I'm leaving today on a business trip and I don't have a working phone. Meanwhile, the replacement phone is sitting at home, unusable because it doesn't have a SIM card. And I'm getting emails from Verizon warning me that I'll be charged $500 if I don't send my old phone back within 5 days, which I can't because I don't have a working replacement. 

This is the problem with Verizon customer service. Verizon has obviously trained people to express concern and promise a resolution for any problem. At every stage of this process the person has been friendly and said "I'm sorry to hear that, I know how important it is to have a working device, let's find a solution." But that's completely meaningless if nothing actually gets resolved! So every stage of the process involves wasting an hour of my time talking to a representative or driving across town to a Verizon store because they told me that it would resolve me problem. It gets more and more frustrating the longer it goes without getting any closer to a resolution. 

0 Likes
tomHardly
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: The customer service rep in this thread told me that replacement phones are always sent without a SIM. That can't be true. So the customer is supposed to just be surprised by the fact that they received a phone they can't activate, and then spend more time calling Verizon and ordering a SIM and waiting several more days for the replacement? Why doesn't Verizon just send the SIM when the initial order is placed? How can that possibly be on purpose? 

I've been a Verizon customer for almost 20 years, but I'm seriously considering switching carriers after all this. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry, but this is normal for a phone not to have a SIM card. I place these orders or file these claims, so I am always sure to tell this. Same for the phones that do not come with a battery. 

*Heather

0 Likes
tomHardly
Enthusiast - Level 2

That makes no sense, I've gotten probably a dozen phones from Verizon over the years and they've always come with the necessary SIM. Are you saying that it's Verizon's policy to send out phones without the SIM that's needed to activate and then just wait until the customer calls again and then place a separate order for the SIM? Why isn't it ordered when you order the phone?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, tomHardly. Thanks for contacting Verizon Social Media. Please feel free to reach us out through Facebook or Twitter for a personal assistance.

>Apollo

0 Likes