What are all the differences between a Verizon Pixel 6 and an unlocked Pixel 6
jroal
Contributor - Level 2

I would like to know all the details about the differences between the Verizon Pixel 6 versus the unlocked PIxel 6, including:

• What Verizon bloatware (apps) are added to the Verizon model that we cannot uninstall?
  • What features like HD Voice (VoLTE) are possibly not supported on the unlocked device?
  • Who manages software updates on the Verizon model, Google or Verizon?
  • What other software does Verizon add to the Verizon version? This may be apps but may be other software.
  • What other limitations does the Verizon version have compared to the unlocked?

I quit buying Verizon phones years ago due to all the bloatware they added and could not be removed, and because of the lack of updates and real support.  I would be very leery to go back but curious where things stand now.  I noticed the Verizon version of the Pixel 6 is $699 and unlocked is $599.  Why is the Verizon version $100 more?  
Labels (1)
Re: What are all the differences between a Verizon Pixel 6 and an unlocked Pixel 6
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure why the price is different between the unlocked model and the Verizon version. I do know the price for the Verizon version is the same on both the Verizon Wireless website and the Google Store.

The Pixel 6 and 6 pro should follow the same setup as the previous Pixels. The past Pixel phones didn't come with any Verizon Wireless applications. The HD Voice feature worked on SIM unlocked model same as Pixel phones purchased from VZW. The visual voicemail is handled by the phone dialer application so there isn't a separate Verizon voicemail application. You can install Verizon Messages+ application on the Pixel if you must have it.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the Wi-Fi calling feature on unlocked or Verizon branded Pixel phones as I have never gotten it to work on my Pixel 3a that was purchased from VZW. I have good cell service at most places where I have Wi-Fi access so I never investigated how to get it working. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: What are all the differences between a Verizon Pixel 6 and an unlocked Pixel 6
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are great questions and we can try to answer them the best we can.

For bloatware, I am not aware of everything that would be considered as such, and would recommend to check a phone out in store if you are able to for this answer.

HD Voice should be available with most unlocked devices, it would be Wi-Fi Calling, and Video Calling that may experience issues generally.

Software with Androids is always first handled by the owner of Android(Google) then the Manufacturer(Google) in this case, and then it is sent for verification to a carrier(Verizon Wireless).

Regarding limitations, our devices are locked for 60 days after purchase.

Our pricing is determined by MSRP, so by the manufacturer. I hope this part makes sense. We do offer assistance with devices, but I always recommend to work with the manufacturer of a device if there is a device specific issue, as they should be aware of issues before we should be. I hope this answers your questions. If you feel I didn't answer a specific portion or question, please clarify further on those parts. We just want to make sure we can answer them for you. *Gert

jroal
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks.  I tried to click the "correct answer" button but I just get this error: 

"Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page.
"

I do have Javascipt enabled for this site too.  Using Chrome latest version.  Tried reloading, same thing.  Tried navigating back and trying again, same thing.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jroal wrote:

Thanks.  I tried to click the "correct answer" button but I just get this error: 

"Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page.
"

I do have Javascipt enabled for this site too.  Using Chrome latest version.  Tried reloading, same thing.  Tried navigating back and trying again, same thing.

It is an error and the administration is working on it.  https://community.verizon.com/t5/Community-Announcements/Authentication-Failed-Error-Message-in-Comm...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

Hello. I have a Verizon model Pixel 4XL and my wife has a Verizon model Pixel 5. Here is what I have noticed:

• What Verizon bloatware (apps) are added to the Verizon model that we cannot uninstall?
    • Very little to none. Maybe Verizon Messages (maybe) which can easily be disabled.
  • What features like HD Voice (VoLTE) are possibly not supported on the unlocked device?
    • Not sure. They should work.
  • Who manages software updates on the Verizon model, Google or Verizon?
    • You will get updates from Google on the same day as everyone else. Verizon does not hold updates for Pixels like some other phones.
  • What other software does Verizon add to the Verizon version? This may be apps but may be other software.
    • None that I have seen on either phone.
  • What other limitations does the Verizon version have compared to the unlocked?
    • None. The limitation would be with the unlocked model on Verizon, you will not have 5G mmWave functionality.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I found this explanation of the pricing difference and it makes sense.  I may not like it, but it was understandable.  At least the Verizon model isn't the most expensive version.  AT&T took that spot!

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/google-pixel-6-price-why-do-verizon-and-atandt-charge-dollar100-more-...

Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

I setup my Verizon model Pixel 6 over the weekend. There were 2 Verizon apps installed, only 2. Verizon Messages + and Verizon Cloud, both of which can be uninstalled. The Verizon model Pixel 6 is not full of extra unwanted apps. Just wanted to share that.

mm95886

How much of a difference is there with the mmWave? I'm debating if I want to get unlocked and use my device dollars for some NC headphones or just put them towards the Verizon version of the phone.

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@mm95886 wrote:

How much of a difference is there with the mmWave? I'm debating if I want to get unlocked and use my device dollars for some NC headphones or just put them towards the Verizon version of the phone.

Probably not much to make a major difference, unless you live in a major city with full mmWave integration. The full effects & functionality of true 5G are still a few years away. Have you looked at the Verizon coverage map for your area to see if you are even getting that kind of coverage yet?

0 Likes