Why does Google allow VzW to continually delay our updates
TJCraig1

The title says it. I have an unlocked phone. Why does Verizon get to force me to use the update track for its carrier locked phones? 

This is Google letting Verizon bully them and force us users into a horrible experience. 

Apple controls their updates, Google can as well. 

I am giving Verizon one more time to delay my update. I will go to a rival company. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does Google allow VzW to continually delay our updates
Nickoakz
Enthusiast - Level 3

A phone from Verizon will simply be limited to Verizon's restrictions. You will be free to use any SIM card you want and update at the pace that Verizon believes deem appropriate for their devices. There is no if and or but for Verizon products as they have kept this strong stance for their devices, probably to enforce the idea that it's time to get a new phone, come on in and get the next new phone that's available.

If you absolutly want updates as soon as Google provides updates, or have the freedom to OEM unlock your device and use whatever firmware or software you want on your phone; you would need to buy elsewhere as Verizon doesn't offer this.

0 Likes
TJCraig1

I do not have a phone from Verizon. I bought my phone from Google, directly, to avoid Verizon controlling my phone.

Here we are, Verizon's update system, controlling my phone. 

It's the 13th, with a fix for my battery and GPS and I am unable to access it because Google allows Verizon to bully them and kidnap the updates. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good evening, Nickoakz! We have absolutely no control over software updates from the manufacturer. This is solely up to the manufacturer alone. 

-Marshall

0 Likes
TJCraig1

That absolutely is not true. Google makes the updates, then Verizon has to add it's dog feces to the code, then the presence of a Verizon sim in our phones mean we only get these updates when Verizon allows it.

It's September 18th, we have not gotten the update that has been complete for a week. Those of us with unlocked phones purchased from Google are still handcuffed to verizon and its shameful practices and bully tactics. I hate Verizon.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

You are completely incorrect Marshall.  Verizon's own Pixel 6 Pro website says you have released the September security update on 9/12, yet NO ONE with a 6 Pro has this update.  Security updates are very important.  All other Pixels have received this update EXCEPT for the 6 even though your website says it was released over a week ago.  

Verizon is holding back this update.  Please find out what is going on and don't respond with another canned answer.  I'm tired of VZW delaying Pixel updates and share the frustration with other posters on this thread.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Davidoo, thank you for the additional information. The following web page https://www.verizon.com/support/google-pixel-6-pro-update/ indicates there was an update to the software version of TP1A.220905.004.A1 on 9/12/22. We can troubleshoot if you have not received this update. What happens when you try to update the software manually by using the steps on that web page? Which software version does the phone currently have? 

-David

0 Likes
TJCraig1

What is there to troubleshoot? We are on TP1A.220624.021. We have not gotten the new build. The update button does not pull the update. Verizon is blocking this update. 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader