Why is the Black Friday 2017 deal for 50% off Pixel 2 costing me MORE than paying for retail?
jco23
Contributor - Level 3

If you're like me, you've been waiting to buy the Pixel 2 to see if the price drops. VZW has been offering to give folks 50% off if they trade in CERTAIN devices (mostly ones that are less than a year old).

For Black Friday, VZW is again offering 50% off WITHOUT a trade-in.... BUT, you must switch to their unlimited plan. For those that are already on the unlimited plan, this is a good deal.

But the idea is that VZW is trying to get folks that are not unlimited to move to their unlimited plan.

In my situation, I'm on the medium plan for $45/month. I then pay $20/month per line for a total of $85/month (2 lines). we have never gone over 3 GB, so there is no advantage for us to go unlimited.

If we go to the unlimited plan, we would have to pay $65/month per line for a total of $130/month.

The Pixel 2 50% off is spread out over 24 months in bill credits after I pay the full retail price up front. In doing so, VZW will credit me $13.50/month. And in order to keep receiving the credits, you have to remain on the unlimited plan for the duration.

So in essence, I'd be paying $45/month EXTRA just to save $13.5.

Over the span of 24-months, I would have paid $1080 in fees, less the $325 from the "promo", thus paying an extra $755.

Conversely, I can just buy the Pixel 2 outright for $650. My understanding is that Black Friday is supposed to give discounts, not ways for folks to pay more than retail.

So why should I pay $755 for a device when I get it for $650?

Even if they offered the Pixel 2 for free, then I would still say no as I would be out $430 just to get unlimited data that I don't use.

understood that everyone's situation is different, but hoping that this will give folks some pause before considering buying from VZW. and I normally have no issues with VZW, but now I do.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why is the Black Friday 2017 deal for 50% off Pixel 2 costing me MORE than paying for retail?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You also can't pay off the phone balance early with that promotion. If you do, you forfeit any unpaid credits and you would have to pay the remaining balance of the device payment agreement before the credits are applied.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Why is the Black Friday 2017 deal for 50% off Pixel 2 costing me MORE than paying for retail?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the math doesn't work, don't take the promotion.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I agree.

To jco23​:

BTW...Black Friday is a retail made up thing. If retailers decided tomorrow that they no longer wanted to offer ANY promotions on the day after Thanksgiving, they don't have. Verizon isn't going to give you something without getting anything in return. Often times, their promotions require certain plans. I remember one Black Friday where they gave away the Elipsis tablet for free with a 2 yr contract. I think the tablet retailed for $199 and to get it for free you had to pay $10 a month for 2 years. So it ended up costing $240. However, if you were to just buy the tablet and activate it you would pay an additional $199. So in essence you saved $199. Any retailer can make their promotions have terms of whatever they like. There is no law that says you HAVE to get deep discounts on Black Friday.

0 Likes