WiFi Calling keeps turning off
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Both my wife and I have non-VZW Pixel 2 phones. Both are running same OS/patch (current) but different apps and many different settings. Our coverage at home is marginal at best. Phones will show CDMA coverage at one bar or less, but placing a call or answering usually ends in a dropped call in a matter of seconds. We both are provisioned/enabled for WiFi Calling. And it works, great!, at least until several hours or days later when, lo and behold, the WiFi Calling setting reverts to Off (WiFi Calling switch Off). I have not been able to correlate this change with anything in particular. Our WiFi/Internet connectivity is very stable and typically >300Mbps capable. Way better than our VZW CDMA coverage at home.

We tend to find that this state change has happened only when we go to answer a call, or make a call, and the connection drops within a second or two. ANNOYING!

Is this a "known issue"? Is there a workaround? Is it something we are doing/some setting we have not set optinally? Is it a VZW problem? A Google problem? Is it somehow a "feature" we are just failing to appreciate the goodness of? ANY thoughts would be appreciated!

We switched back to VZW after a decade at AT&T primarily because AT&T would not support WiFi Calling on our Pixel 2s. Having this happen on VZW is disheartening, to say the least. Especially since WiFi Calling works so well--until it randomly turns off.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi Calling keeps turning off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dwatson808, 

We appreciate your loyalty and coming back to us after all these years. Let's get some details. We are not aware of this being a known issue, but would definitely want to get this working for you. Does this happen at the same time on both phones or is it random? For example, at 2 pm on Monday both phones turned off WIFI calling or your phone did it one day and the other phone the next day. Have you tried to use WIFI calling on any other WIFI connections? Do you have any power or battery save apps on either device?

JenelleR_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

It's random. Mine does it less frequently, generally, than my wife's. Mine has gone since sometime late last week without turning it off. Her's has turned it off multiple times in that same period--once this morning before I mentioned having gone several days without having to turn it back on and once after I mentioned it. We were both at home in those last two cases although her phone was in a different room in the house than mine. She also spends more time going more places than I do.

I don't think we have *intentionally* tested WiFi calling on other WiFi connections; mostly because our coverage is generally pretty good when we are out and about. But I can't say whether it has picked up on a WiFi connection one or the other of our phones knows about.

I don't have any non-stock-Android power/battery save apps and doubt my wife does either but can't say for sure. I've had mine change state when on charge. (I.e., plug it in in the evening with WiFi Calling enabled, next morning it's still plugged in but WiFi Calling switch set to Off.) So has her's.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the clarification, dwatson808. Let's keep moving forward. Have you tested her device in Safe Mode to test if it turns off? Safe mode allows us to test the device with third party apps temporarily disabled. Here is a link with steps. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-215256/

You could also test the device with airplane mode on. This would force the phone to only use WiFi, in case the cellular connection is kicking WiFi calling off if you have a strong enough signal. 

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

The problem, of course, is that both Safe Mode and Airplane Mode, WiFi on make the phone kind of useless as a smartphone. So we haven't been able to leave our phones in either state long enough to prove the negative. But this is still happening to both of us. It's maybe less frequent for both of us than it was, say, a month ago, but it is still happening. Any other thoughts or, maybe, sincere expressions of concern with no hint of solution or even the prospect of one?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We understand how frustrating this must be for you. Where did you purchase the device?
LauraL_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!
0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Our two Pixel 2 phones doing this were both purchased from store.google.com. They are different sub-models and were purchased several months apart. I suspect a software or system issue. Or we have something set wrong. But we’ve tried all the obvious settings by now. As noted in original post I’m at a loss whether this is a Google or VZW or user issue.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information. We understand the frustration at hand. We want to try all possible options. Have you tried doing a Factory Reset on one of these devices? There is a chance one of your applications, or a combination of installed applications are causing your device to turn off Wi-Fi calling. To avoid this as a possibility, we ask that you try a Factory Reset and avoid an automatic restore. Let us know if this option lets you keep Wi-Fi calling active.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful for your help, but there’s no way I’m going to go through the headache of a factory data reset. It’s just a terrible way to troubleshoot this kind of occasional problem.

Since the problem happens completely unpredictably, I could do this and not see the problem for a week and that means nothing about the possibility I would see it at one week one minute. Or I could see the problem in the first five minutes and that would get us only very marginally closer to identifying why the problem occurs since all it would do is eliminate unlikely candidate like some interaction between the WiFi calling stack and, say, the WeatherUnderground app.

OTOH, if I do this and spend the week waiting to see if this problem occurs, it will amount to a week living with an essentially stupid smartphone. (Worse than Safe Mode boot suggested earlier since even the Google stock apps and stuff will be clueless.) And, after that week, there’s the several hours necessary to put back all the settings that a restore after a factory data reset doesn’t restore. Been There, Done That.

Any other suggestions?

ADAMAC91
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issue. And I did take the annoying step of reset on my phone. Problem still exists. Android has had this as a known issue in the past and it seems to be coming back for some people. Google support seems to think it is related to some battery saving feature.

My phone is a VZW phone that I bought at Target.