Wifi can't obtain ip address
mocoolie

A couple days ago I started having probs connecting to my home wifi. It'll connect for a few seconds but then it starts disconnecting because it's "obtaining ip address". I have tried everything I can think of short of totally resetting my my phone. I can connect to wifi on my tablet, pc, google home, hue lights, etc... with no problem. If I put my phone into safe mode the wifi works fine. I have uninstalled all apps that have been installed in the last month and it hasn't helped. PLEASE HELP!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi can't obtain ip address
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried rebooting your router/modem?

mocoolie

Thanks for asking. Smiley Happy Yes, I have. Funny thing, I just got to work and it picks up my work wifi just fine.

I'm scared I may just have to do a factory reset because all my other devices at home pick up my wifi just fine. Grrrrr.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Normally in these situations, as tikibar1 indicated, rebooting the router (and phone) generally takes care of these things.

Did you try "forgetting" the SSID of your router, and then attempt to reconnect?

0 Likes
mocoolie

Hi there! Yep. Did that several times, even renamed my router, rebooted the router several times thru the AT&T app, then manually rebooted it. Have uninstalled a bunch of app thinking that may be the prob since wifi works in safe mode. Nope. Maybe Uverse is boycotting my verizon phone? LOL!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Hmm, you seem to know what you are doing...

Try going to Settings | WiFi  then select the menu and choose, Advanced WiFi. Do you have a setting for Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections? If checked, un-check it.

OK, download WiFi Analyzer. Do you have another WiFi router of comparable strength on the channel your ATT router is using? Configure the router to use the channel that neighbors aren't using, or that has the lowest signal strength. Don't make your router compete.

If that didn't work, try opening your router up with no protection. Does it connect and stay connected? If so, then I'd back up my important content and perform a Factory Data Reset.

0 Likes
mocoolie

Hi! Nope, no option re: bad wifi connections. I've downloaded the analyzer and will try it out when I get home. I've been backing stuff up all day so I'm ready (although not excited) to do a factory reset if it comes to that. Thank you. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

You might try the WiFi Analyzer at work there where you are getting a good connection, just for comparison to when you get home. Save/record any info from the good connection.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
mocoolie

Good thinking! Thanks. I will. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Are you certain of this? When you are on the screen viewing all of the WiFi access points, select the menu button. You have to have Advanced WiFi options. There are a bunch of important settings (that people don't typically mess with there)!

0 Likes