Will Verizon ensure that it's Google Pixel receives updates at the same time as Google store bought phones?
MrAceXPS2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does anyone know whether Verizon will be ensuring that it's Verizon sold Google Pixel phones receive operating system updates right when Google releases them?  Not security updates, but operating system updates.

I wish they would clarify this.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon ensure that it's Google Pixel receives updates at the same time as Google store bought phones?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon ensure that it's Google Pixel receives updates at the same time as Google store bought phones?
MrAceXPS2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I saw it.  The Google Store phones are sold out (the XL with 128GB storage), but Verizon has them to sell.

I don't need the OS updates the millisecond that Google releases them, but withing a few days would be nice.

I am not sure why they didn't think about this in all the promotion.   By not speaking to it they are allowing would be Pixel buyers to assume that updates will be slow.  There is no key message about needing to stability test that would be acceptable to justify delays.

radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

The second I saw this was the second I ordered from Google. I didn't mind having the locked boot loader but I wanted to be able to get updates when Google made them available. Historically, Verizon didn't do this (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 6) and I didn't want to be in a situation where I had to wait a month or two to enjoy a new feature I read about online. Besides, the Pixel phones that Google sells will work on Verizon and also have Wi-Fi calling as well.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just to put some perspective on it, I have a Nexus 6p direct from Google store.  The android 7 update was supposedly released over a month ago, I didn't get the update till yesterday.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Never buy a Verizon Nexus/Pixel.  I reference the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.  Fiasco.  Don't forget Verizon-installed VZW branded bloatware will come pre-installed on the Verizon Pixel.

Weth
Legend

The crystal ball and history both agree, no

mama23dogs
Legend

The Galaxy Nexus was a lousy phone.  Period.  It had little to do with it being Verizon or not.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

radgatt wrote:

Besides, the Pixel phones that Google sells will work on Verizon and also have Wi-Fi calling as well.

Do you have a link that the version sold by Google will also have wifi calling which will work on Verizon. I am hesitant to believe this until I see confirmation since both the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X have wifi calling capabilities AND they both work on Verizon as phones, but the wifi calling DOES NOT work on Verizon.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Verizon never really supported it, having given focus to it's exclusive Droid lineup.

0 Likes