Re: Will Verizon ensure that it's Google Pixel receives updates at the same time as Google store bought phones?
Snn5
Legend

This is what concerns me about Google phones on any carrier where the carrier controls the updates:

Verizon will control Android updates for Google Pixel phones it sells - The Verge

Verizon has final say over when its Pixels get Android updates

https://9to5google.com/2016/10/06/google-confirms-that-verizon-will-handle-system-updates-for-pixels...

For one, HTC made the phones, and HTC is struggling right now so support there could be an issue, and two, the whole Galaxy Nexus thing again.

0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon ensure that it's Google Pixel receives updates at the same time as Google store bought phones?
Jamo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is NOTORIOUS for very very very slow system updates on ALL of the phones they sell not just Nexus/Pixel etc...  Buy unlocked if you want timely system updates on VZW.  If you do not care about timely updates then go for it and buy from VZW but do not expect any system update to arrive remotely close to their release date on any phone you buy directly from them.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the Google versions won't have Wi-Fi calling. http://www.androidcentral.com/dont-buy-your-google-pixel-verizon

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
macantr911
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd be interested to see a Verizon answer to the OP's post. From what I've read, Google is responsible for security updates AND Android updates, BUT the Android updates have to be certified by Verizon first before they're pushed out to the Verizon Pixels. Now, if Verizon's only software presence is going to be 3 apps, all of which can be deleted, I don't understand why it should take Verizon any unreasonable length of time to push the new system updates to the Pixels as they're received by Google.

Any Verizon personnel have any information?

OrGoN3

Nope. I have a Droid Turbo. Still waiting on the 6.x update promised to us almost a year ago.

0 Likes
OrGoN3

HD Voice and WiFi calling should also be included as proprietary drivers. So 3 apps and at least 2 drivers.

0 Likes
MrAceXPS2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My guess is that as long as the Pixel sells well for Verizon, it will probably receive at least one major update faster than all of the other Android phones it promotes as a carrier.   I have to think that this was a discussion point between Google and Verizon.  I am also assuming that updates will be lagged but my sense is that Verizon will place greater resources behind the Pixel.  I have pretty much stayed with the Samsung line and Nexus line of phones for my Android selections over the past 2 years.   I think Samsung is going to suffer big time as a result of his Note 7 issues, which will impact Galaxy S7 purchases as well.

I am hoping that Verizon understand the market it's selling into with the Pixel.  It demands updates...

Snn5
Legend

Pixel is still going to be a niche market, like Nexus.  Updates will be far and few between, if even plural and not singular.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This article indicates that VzW will update Pixels at the same time as Google:

Update: Verizon says its Pixels will get updates at the same time as Google’s | Ars Technica

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes