bootloader unlocked BYOD
aschon
Enthusiast - Level 1

if i buy a pixel 4a 5g directly from google and
unlock the bootloader, will it still be eligible for the BYOD program?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: bootloader unlocked BYOD
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

aschon, no, if you use a bootloader for the device, this will void the warranty and disqualify you from the promotion. JoseL_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

He’s incorrect.  
Verizon will have no way of detecting you have unlocked the boot.  

if you purchase a phone from a third-party and bring it as a BYOd as long as it otherwise passes inspection, as in the IMEI is valid, it will work just fine on any carrier..   
it does void the warranty.  (From Google)

however:  most current android phones can unlock developer options which has nothing to do with unlocking the boot loader. It’s a completely legit process that allows developers access without voiding your warranty, or unlocking a bootloader.  Most manufacturers are both locking and encrypting their boot loader and you cannot unlock it. At least not without bricking your phone. The days of completely unlockable Phones ended with android 5.   

aschon
Enthusiast - Level 1

im sorry but i think you either didnt read or didnt understand my question. i never asked about any warranty or any kind of promotion. i was just asking whether an unlocked bootloader bought from google would be accepted for byod. mama23dogs seems to have answered my question though.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@aschon wrote:

im sorry but i think you either didnt read or didnt understand my question. i never asked about any warranty or any kind of promotion. i was just asking whether an unlocked bootloader bought from google would be accepted for byod. mama23dogs seems to have answered my question though.

@aschon   Lol.   Welcome to customer support.   😂

0 Likes