phone prefers mobile to WiFi Calling even when wireless signal is unusable
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

See subject. Phone UI will not allow WiFi Preferred preference. (Though I've read that this can be enabled via ADB.)

I'd have no problem with Mobile Preferred if it didn't revert to mobile while in a state where the signal is so low as to yield unintelligble calls or calls that drop within seconds. But it does. Fairly consistently.

WiFi Preferred should be a setting users can enable or the wireless signal threshold for falling forward from WiFi Calling to wireless calling should be raised to some level more likely to result in useful call quality.

How can users set the phone to "WiFi Preferred" instead of "Mobile Preferred" or change the wireless signal threshold for fall forward to Mobile from WiFi Calling?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: phone prefers mobile to WiFi Calling even when wireless signal is unusable
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important that your calls work well consistently, dwatson808. Upon review, I do not show that such an option as you have outlined, exists. I have lifted this feedback up to the manufacturer for review however. Are you having issues with calling? If so, please detail what issues you are experiencing?

RyanM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, we're both having "issues" with our Pixel 2 phones on VZW related to WiFi calling.

The particular issue for this thread is that the phones will try to use Mobile calling, even if WiFi Calling is set On and available, at wireless signal strengths that do not result in usable phone calls. Calls will ring or we can dial and call will either drop connection in seconds, or we hear nothing from other end, or call is unintelligible. If we see WiFi Calling as the active connection before placing or answering calls, call quality is second to none.

I don't mind it preferring to use Mobile. But it should only do that if the signal level is usably strong. We are right on the coverage fringe and phone will try using wireless but not do so well. If we had zero coverage, this would not be an issue as phones would stay on WiFi Calling. (The other WiFi Calling issues, see other threads, however, would still be issues.)

I'm now trying the combined "Roaming connect to data services" and "Roaming preference WiFi" so that the phone shows "WiFi Calling WiFi preferred". (Though what WiFi preferred for WiFi Calling and [wireless] Roaming Data have to do with each other is not at all clear to me. If I have WiFi connectivity, I don't need wireless data services, roaming or otherwise. And WiFi Calling is about WiFi not wireless data.) I will see if this makes a difference as regards this issue.

0 Likes
dwatson808
Contributor - Level 1

Smiley Sad "Roaming connect to data services" and "Roaming preference WiFi" does not change the behavior that the phone favors Mobile vocice connections at signal strengths that are insuficient for decent voice connections. So I'm reverting to the original settings.

0 Likes