Pixel 6 Update Not Being Offered
patrickd314
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received my Pixel 6 on October 30th, put in my Verizon sim card and activated. After a couple days of setting up home screen, tuning apps, etc, I began to look into the "First Day Update" that Coogle is recommending.  

Apparently, Verizon is offering this for Pro owners , but not for vanilla Pixel 6?

My current system is SD1A.210817.19.C, and according to the link above (and other Pixel web info), I should have ...817.036.A8;   but upon checking, I get "Your system is up to date."

Thus far, I haven't seen a way to force an update.

So, after two days with a new phone, Verizon is already behind on updates?  I thought that one major benefit of having a Google phone is supposed to be that this is not supposed to happen.

Labels (1)
Re: Pixel 6 Update Not Being Offered
BCOMP
Enthusiast - Level 3

The pixel 6 works with google’s own chip for the first time meaning they push out updates without carrier approval like iPhones this generation. So this is a google issue not a fault of vzw. U will get the update when google makes it available to u 

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@BCOMP wrote:

The pixel 6 works with google’s own chip for the first time meaning they push out updates without carrier approval like iPhones this generation. So this is a google issue not a fault of vzw. U will get the update when google makes it available to u 

Google did push the Day 1 update (with November security patch)....on 28 October. All Pixel 6's have received the update, EXCEPT Pixel 6's on Verizon. Verizon is holding this update for some reason, just like Verizon held the November update for the Pixel 5 last year.

My current build is: SD1A.210817.019.C2. I believe that is the original Pixel 6 Verizon build number and I should be receiving SD1A.210817.036.A8 with the out of the box update.

Verizon, why are you holding this update for Pixel 6 phones? Pixel 6's on all other networks have already received this update.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

patrickd314, 

Congratulations on your upgrade to a new Google Pixel 6 device! We want to make sure that you have the best experience possible on that phone. Software updates are sent over the air directly from the manufacturer in patches. Unfortunately, we're unable to confirm when the update will be sent to your phone. However, we trust that it will be soon. 

Here's more information regarding software updates on our devices: 

https://www.verizon.com/support/software-updates/

-Lasina

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

patrickd314, 

Congratulations on your upgrade to a new Google Pixel 6 device! We want to make sure that you have the best experience possible on that phone. Software updates are sent over the air directly from the manufacturer in patches. Unfortunately, we're unable to confirm when the update will be sent to your phone. However, we trust that it will be soon. 

Here's more information regarding software updates on our devices: 

https://www.verizon.com/support/software-updates/

-Lasina

Thank you, but that does not help. All Pixel 6's on other carriers (AT&T, Google Fi, etc.) have already received the update. But Pixel 6's on Verizon have not received the update. The question is: Why has Verizon not released the update yet, but Google has and other carriers have also?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Please send us a Private Note*Cecile

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

I think what would help people decide whether to wait or not is if Google and Verizon would just say whether this is a slight delay like the Pixel 5 November update of 2020. Both Verizon and Google had a side note on their respective update pages stating that the November 2020 update would be slightly delayed for the Verizon Pixel 5. Easy. Clear communication. Then the update arrived a week later for Verizon Pixel 5's. If Verizon and Google would do that now....clear communication...we would know what is going on and that we should just wait a little while.

0 Likes
patrickd314
Enthusiast - Level 1
patrickd314_0-1636568837560.png

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
‎11-07-2021 06:40 AM

How do I do that?

0 Likes
Scott5337
Contributor - Level 3

@patrickd314 wrote:
patrickd314_0-1636568837560.png

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
‎11-07-2021 06:40 AM

How do I do that?

Click the envelope symbol in the top right next to your avatar pic, which opens messages. Send a new message and search for vzw_customer_support in the "To" field.

Be advised though.....they don't always respond to private messages, so you might not receive a response.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, there! Software Updates are sent over directly from the manufacturer. Because of this, we are unable to confirm when the update will be sent to your device, and do not have further details on the update. We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, however, we're sure the update will be sent over soon. I hope this information helps.

*Breanna

0 Likes