Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Apps for the Palm Pre Plus I kind of like.
oldgeekster
Novice

Once again, these are apps that I "kind of like", (or at least like the direction they are headed in)...

Poster App:
Write and edit posts for your WordPress blog on your phone. You can also upload photos, add links, and edit tags and categories. Save them on the phone and post when you're done.

OK, I might *really* like this one later on after I become a bit more proficient with it. :smileywink:

I maintain a blog using the popular WordPress software on Outdoor Cooking - its just for friends and family, (comments are not enabled - so its kind of one-way communications on the blog itself, but they let me know in other ways like eMail/FaceBook/text messaging/etc.).

When I read the description of "Poster", knew I was going to check it out. (Currently only 99 cents from Palm).  Have already configured/tested it immediately after installation on my Palm Pre Plus and it was entirely successful.  Good stuff and this is going to come in very handy at some campgrounds later this year when I want to provide immediate updates on "what's cooking?". :smileyhappy:

wikiHow App:
Get 60,000 step-by-step how-to articles at your fingertips, including a Survival Kit for life's most challenging situations. Learn how to do everything from perform CPR to escape from a bear.

Quite some time ago, (and I have forgotten the details), I read a story about a fellow saving another's life using first aid instructions from wikiHow that he had accessed with his cell phone.  I was *impressed* to say the least.  Have played with wikiHow.com quite a bit with my notebook/browser and have become fairly proficient and weeding through all of the chaff and nonsense using the search functionality and proper keywords.  I am absolutely tickled to have this app on my Palm Pre Plus, and there it will remain. (The "Search" function works just fine, along with the bookmarks/etc.)..

0 Likes
Drgoodbones2

Dave,

Thanks for sharing.  You "seem" :smileyhappy: to be very knowledgeable.

Will try the GPS workaround.

But since I'm still working, I'm reaching the end of my limit for time I can spend getting this thing to work.

IPhone might be a better bet for me.

Care to share knowledge/opinion about AT&T?

Dave

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Dave, I'm pretty sure AT&T's 3G coverage has gotten better - they are still playing catch up, and if you only travel to the more major cities you should be happy. Verizon's coverage is the reason I am still a customer and the one thing that holds me to it. It isn't so much "customer loyalty" as it is "satisfied customer" that motivates my entire family, from California to Florida, to stick with Verizon.

A dear friend who is still running his business (and still very much of a Road Warrior) recently bought out his contract and went to the local Apple Store to make the switch, (he is very much a Mac Head already), and for him it makes great sense.  His calendar will have him located in areas known to be covered by AT&T already for the next year. So long as he contiues flying to those destinations, taking rental cars upon arrival, he will be fine. His only advice, "buy the AppleCare insurance".

If/when you get your iPhone, take a hard look at the new OmniFocus App (and OmniFocus itself) as the best available personal productivity software available to the Apple community (IMHO). That is the ONE area where I suffer from iPhone envy.  If I were still trying to juggle owning a business, family and social responsibilities (think keep 10 baskeballs bouncing while herding squirrels), I would most certainly be a MacBook/iPhone/OmniFocus user tomorrow, via the Apple Store NOT AT&T itself. (Read toss money at the problem to make it go away so I could focus on making money).  As it is I took an early retirement about five years ago, and may live a little longer because I did - "so many toys, so little time". :smileywink:

Don't know if this helps and it is certainly off-topic, but.... you asked. :smileyhappy:

-=dave=-

0 Likes
Feedback on iphone
Drgoodbones2

Thanks, Dave.

Very helpful info.  Sorry to drag your thread off topic.

I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Why go to the Apple store instead of the AT&T store?

Dave

0 Likes
Re: Feedback on iphone
oldgeekster
Novice

Hi Dave,

(Again it is hypothetical because my time is no longer at a premium and I have no "business expenses"),  I would be following the lead of a very dear friend.  At the Apple Store in Mission Valley I could expect *very* good customer service, they are fully prepared to set up the AT&T account down there, and I *absolutely* would be seeking/paying for AppleCare, - if I were to lay out that much money I would want the insurance, (again, I would be picking up a MacBook Pro at the same time).  Additionally, I could take advantage of their evening course on the new devices as he did recently. (IIRC, they are 1 hour each). There would be several other purchases while I were down there including the OmniFocus I mentioned elsewhere and a "MobileMe" account.  I rather doubt AT&T would be able to satisfy/support those Apple "needs" to my satisfaction.  Then again I'm old and grumpy. :smileywink:

There are several reasons I haven't, and at least up to this point won't go that route, and most of them are centered around being a satisfied Verizon customer.  In my area Verizon is and has been the most reliable cellular provider for a long, long time.  I am aware of only two spots in the county that I will suffer "dropouts" and they are both in spots I might pass through once or twice a year.  I can drive from here on the West Coast straight through to Florida and pretty well count on reliable cellular communication, (let alone 3G).  If there is another cellular provider that could provide that reliability, (particularly passing through West Texas), I am unaware of them.  Obviously, cash-outlay is another huge influence as far as going with Apple is concerned.  Once you retire, you tend to re-evaluate the phrase "cost-effective" and become a lot more frugal over personal rather than business expenses. IMHO, with the current pricing, Verizon is offering the best "bang for the buck" on the Palm Pre Plus for a "smartphone" which, (even with its warts), more than satisfies my needs.

Warm regards,

-=dave=-

0 Likes
Re: Apps for the Palm Pre Plus I kind of like
oldgeekster
Novice

Back on topic..

Long ago I was a huge fan to Docs-to-Go and SmartLists-to-Go on my old Palm m-130, and actually used it quite effectively.  The Docs-to-Go App for the Palm Pre Plus is supposedly going to be released by DataViz "early in 2010" and I will be having a peek when it finally comes available. (One of these days we should have a mobile version of something like OpenOffice available to WebOS - but that will be a spell). In the mean time, I am using "Google Docs" but wanted something resident on my Palm Pre while I wait for the rest of the App world to provide a good editor that would at minimum provide Bold/italic/etc. (Additionally there are some items I simply don't want to put "in the Cloud". :smileywink:).

Scratch App:
A simple word processor for writing on WebOS. Scratch supports true paragraphs, numbered and ordered lists, as well as the basic Bold/Italic/Underline that all WebOS Rich Text Editors should use. Every entry is grouped by topic and title, and has a configurable word count. Your files are stored on the device, and you can send them out via email or by uploading to Google Docs, or even import a local HTML page, a URL, or a Google Docs Document.

This one is filling the gap for me until something like Docs-to-Go is available. It simply works as advertised.

pReader App:
An eBook reader.

Its free, and works in the expected manner.  These days I do most of my novel reading on a Kindle, which, (like a book), seems to disappear from my consicious awareness as I get "into" the story.  Never could say that about my old Palm and will stick with what I have - but will probably load up a few of my old "Doc Savage" mobi books just in case I get stuck in a hospital waiting room or whatever. :smileywink:

Side Note:

I am old, I'm retired, I'm NOT a Gamer, and my opinions are my own. The Apps that I might have interest in are probably very far away from the perceptions of the general public.  If you want to see what is "shaking" for indications of what the rest of the community is looking for, a great place is Palm Hot Apps - where they have quite a promotion/contest going on. Gee - I guess games do rule among younger folks?

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Grocery List App:

Create a list of items to purchase and check them off as you pick up what you need. The app keeps a history of items you've added so you don't have to enter them every time you need them.

So OK, I was bored...:smileywink:

Had a bit of trouble understanding exactly how to use the "web connected" part of this application.  This page on the author's web site helped some:

GroceryList for WebOS

Being able to pull item names in off the web is kind of cool, once I realized I could simply search by department like "Meat", "Frozen", etc. - but court is still out on this one.  It DOES go way beyond my old Grocery List DBF built with Smartlists to Go and MS Access back in the day. Hope it is a keeper, but at this point I honestly don't know.  Will revisit this post after I've had more time to evaluate this app.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

OK, I am *NOT* a "Gamer" - normally Klondike Solitaire is more than enough to keep me amused when I am bored... But today I got sucked in on a sale:

Real Tennis 2010 (version 1.10)

Live the life of a professional tennis player on the world circuit. Play on clay, grass, and synthetic courts from Paris to New York City in your quest to be number one.

Right now, (and I guess for 4 days), it is on sale in the Palm Apps store for 99 cents - so what the heck.  Downloaded/installed it (this sucker is pretty big as it is a 3-D game from Gameloft), and the first think I noticed is that I LOVED the little virtual keyboard provided for setting up my little "account" on it.  *VERY* good graphics, (better than I expected), but it is going to take some getting used to.  Right now I am having a bit of difficulty getting it to move to the right - but am sure that will come as I play with it.

Completely worth 99 cents IMHO - don't know if I would have paid $4.99 normal price for it though.  Most folks probably would do so without thinking about it. As it is, I'm going to hang on to this one.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

A "social networking" application...

Facebook for Palm:
Stay connected on the go. Update your status, comment on news feed items, and post photos. Sync info from your Facebook account with Calendar, Contacts, and Photos on your phone.

It is free - it works - not a lot to say on this subject, although the younger folks in the family finally got me to sign up for a Facebook account last month and was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. :smileywink:

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Turn my phone into a radio?  Sure, why not?  Most folks are interested in an App like "Pandora", so if they hear something they like, they can just "click" (er... "poke"?) and buy it from an Amazon MP3 account.  That isn't how I buy music, but I am a fairly avid listener to a couple of local FM stations and occasionally enjoy listening to one of two AM Sports Radio channels....

RadioTime App:
Find what you want to hear, when you want to hear it—all on your webOS phone. RadioTime gives you access to talk radio, local stations, sports broadcasts, and more.

This is exactly what I was looking for - and it is free.  I tried downloading a copy a few days ago and it wouldn't install without WebOS 1.4.1.1 (not yet available for Verizon Palm Pre Plus as of the date I am typing this - I just checked), however, this evening I was looking at the App again and the requirement was WebOS 1.4.0 - snagged it and 2 minutes later was listening to xx1090 Sports Talk Radio on my cell phone.  KEEPER!

0 Likes