Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Apps for the Palm Pre Plus I kind of like.
oldgeekster
Novice

One of the first apps I paid a whole, romping, stomping, 99 cents for was one named "Found This Phone?"

Background - my Son installed a similar app on his 32 gig iPod Touch.  He lost it in a restaurant at his local Mall and realized it upon arriving home. Immediately went back and nobody had turned one in.  That evening he got a telephone call at home from a lady asking if he had lost something? "YES - MY iPOD TOUCH!"  Turns out she had noticed her 12 year old son playing with it, and upon looking found the app and it led her to make the phone call... He got his device back, offered a reward which wasn't accepted. (The young man was nowhere to be seen during the exchange).

If you saw my phone, in the very middle of the default display there is an app that says "Found This Phone?" - if I do get separated from my Palm Pre Plus, it will at least give the "finder" the opportunity to do the honorable thing - it even has a button to place a call to my home number, and another button configured to send an eMail to my address.

GOOD STUFF!

-=dave=-

Note: I am retired - and NOT affiliated with Palm, Verizon, nor that author of this cool little app!

0 Likes
Re: Apps for the Palm Pre Plus I kind of like.
oldgeekster
Novice

The "Preware" App - woo hoo, an old geeks dream!

This is a far more advanced application than most - permitting you to scan/access a ton of applications that are not (yet) on the Palm Pre applications store, including "Homebrew" apps which are alluded to on the palm site, but rather hard to get to.  Many are still in beta - many are just junk (same kind of stuff iPhone users complain about) and many are just flat out cool.

THIS TOOL CAN BE DANGEROUS to your system if you don't know what you are doing and can cause you to learn about things like "resetting your Palm" - but if you are somewhat technically inclined it can also "scratch that itch".

Up to this point, I have to admit I have installed a couple of WebOS patches via the Preware interface, but then turned right around and uninstalled them via the same.  I'm sticking with APPS - far less problematic. (There are over 2000 of them at this point).

If you happen to select an app that exists on the Palm store, it will take you there and you will run through downloading/paying via your Palm account.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

I went with Google!

I have long had a GMail account, and have played with Google Calendar and a whole bunch of other stuff.  While I still have my own domain, email server, etc., from back when I was a working slug - I have slowly transitioned over to my GMail address because I simply don't have to deal with being SPAMMED on it.

When my Palm Pre Plus arrived late last month it was a very conscious decision to associate it with my GMail address and my Google Calendar and now I will never look back.  When I point my mobile web browser at google, google news, google maps, google calendar, my iGoogle page - they detect I am using a mobile browser and what is display is customized accordingly.

In GMail, I use the relatively new "contacts" feature to edit my contacts list and flesh it out. (It even has pretty good tools to help me identify/combine duplicate contacts).

Of course, all of my contact data is automatically synced (both directions) with my Palm Pre Plus - now THAT is synergy!

I may start enjoying "cloud computing" and quit calling it "clown computing" after all. ::cool::

I created this thread to talk about APPS - but have to point out that the apps that came with my phone seem to love Google too.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

App "RTFM beta for Remember The Milk"

Some time ago, a dear friend and bigger geek than I ever was, the subject of a site named "Remember The Milk" came up as we were kicking it back and forth about cloud computing.  As he talked about the idea and how he estimated it would REALLY catch on, I just kind of filed it away in my mental "Someday, Maybe" list. I had the impression that it was like a ToDo list on steroids, but the only thing I needed to manage it was a web browser.

Now that I am making far more effective use of Google's "Stuff" and learning to actually use bits and pieces of "the cloud", late last night I decided to re-investigate Remember the Milk, (or "RTM"). It was a very long night but sure scratched that old geek itch before I was through.

First things first, I went to their web site and did an absolute TON of reading/absorbing. (I didn't see an app available for the Palm Pre Plus but had already spotted one in beta).  After the research I first created an RTM account.  Customized it with stuff I like to track like "Errands", "Family", "Someday", etc.

Returned to their FAQ and read up on adding the explained RTM "Gadget" to my GMail account by enabling GMail Labs "Add Any Gadget by URL", then in the new "Gadgets" tab in my settings area, pasting in the RTM Gadget's URL.  Woo hoo - it worked!  Back to the RTM FAQ and went through a similar procedure to get a RTM gadget displayed next to my google calendar.

Finally - on the Palm Pre Plus - loaded the Preware app - found "RTFM beta" - and hit install.  When I first ran the app, it led me through connecting with the right page with the mobile web browser to "Authorize" my device to share my RTM data. (That was not a "mobile friendly" page but I was able to find the "go ahead" button my using the pinching out gesture to make things ledgible then poking it.  Worked like a champ... The app continued to load and EUREKA! There was my ToDo list on my cell phone!

Again, the app is still in beta - but is already functional enough for most of my purposes.  Unfortunately it cannot (yet) share "Notes" that have been associated with list items - but I can wait. ::cool::

OBTW, I finally crashed at just before 5 AM this morning, but did so with a smile on my face! ::thumbsup::

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

App "Virtual Keyboard":

OK - so this one was a disappointment to me - at least at first....  I had expectations/assumptions based upon its name. But at 99 cents it didn't "break me" and I've kept it around.

IT DOES NOT DIRECTLY FILL IN EDIT FIELDS IN YOUR OTHER APPLICATIONS!

Once you get past that part, you find that it is a fairly cool representation of a keyboard, (incomplete for special characters but - 99 cents Dave).  You can intuitively type in just about anything you want, (watch for "bounces" giving double characters), then either send that text to the clipboard and subsequently paste it into whatever app field you are trying to edit, OR, send it to eMail or SMS. (I haven't messed with the latter).

I have found myself using it more often than I thought I would.

Still dreaming of a REAL "Virtual Keyboard" on the Palm Pre Plus to use as an alternative to the slide-out keyboard.

Patience Dave, patience! :smileysad:

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

The Phone App that comes with the Palm Pre Plus is delivered with VERY few ringtones.  I am pretty hard of hearing these days and found most of them useless because they were recorded at to low a volume to be useful. :smileysad:

Yeah - everybody sells MP3 ringtones - and a lot of the so-called FREE sites are nothing more that virus traps, but there is one spot that I've never had a problem with, (at least up to this point).

So I headed over to CrackBerry.com (accounts are free and so are thousands of ringtones) where I used their interface to play some that were loud enough for me.  Downloaded them into a folder on my notebook I named "ringtones" (DOH!) - connected my phone to it via the USB cable - then copied those new MP3 ringtones over to the phone.

Bottom line, when one buddy who has a BB calls me I hear a loud "ahHAHAHAHA I GOTTA BLACKBERRY" - another who is an Amature Radio Operator (HAM) calls in and I hear a loud message in Morse code (which breaks down to "Incoming Message"). When the wife calls I hear ELO's "Hold on tight to your dreams", and so forth.

All for free - and I can actually HEAR them. :smileywink:

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Revisiting App RTFM beta for Remember The Milk:

There is an annoying bug involving "repeating events" that the beta app will not handle properly.  Beyond that - I am having FUN with this app!  Will simply avoid using repeating events in my RTM setup until the App Author gets that one squashed. (He will probably take it out of beta with that and a couple of minor fixes IMO).

0 Likes
Drgoodbones2

Dave, thanks fore the review of apps for the Pre Plus.

I've had the phone for 3 days and not as thrilled with it as you seem to be.

The lack of a "Tasks" app that will synch with Google tasks is a major deficit for me.  Might be a deal breaker.

Also, the GPS does not work most of the time ... another probably deal breaker.

Might have to give up and go with iPhone.

I would love to have the benefit of your knowledge and experience.

I, like you, am old but not yet retired, so I want a device to help keep my life organized without having to fiddle with it much.

My desire for easy functionality is overriding my geek itches.

Dave

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

ROFL - there is that "you seem to be" line again.... :rollseyes:

It would appear to me that google calendar is a database driven calendar and that google has given us the ability to superimpose tasks from their lists function on the display.  Up to this point I have been unable to see them (the tasks) on Thunderbird/Lighting, on a friend's google driven calendar display on his domain's calendar, (the Events all sync & display fine but no tasks), so I was not all that surprised when I didn't see them synced on the Palm Pre Plus, (either in the Palm calendar or the tasks widget/app that comes with it).  I immediately started looking for workarounds.  The "Classic ToDo" app from Palm's Apps store didn't sync either - it appears to be "stand alone" at this stage and while the user interface shows promise - no sync was a killer for me.

Finally, (being retired I can TAKE the time), I found using a RTM account and RTFM beta app as described earlier in this thread to be a pretty fair "work around".  Even then, there are a couple of items not currently working in the beta edition of that app - the "smart add" feature isn't working for me (yet) so I have to use the drop down menu "Add event" function instead to do so from my phone.

Notice the words/phrases like "kind of like", "work-around", etc?  Hardly "thrilled" don't you think? :smileytongue:  Honestly, if I were still working for a living I wouldn't have time to mess around looking for alternatives and would simply throw money at the problems to make them go away, (and that includes going with an iPhone or top of the line Blackberry until the problem went away).

I am "close to elated" with WebOS and its potential for future development - but unhappy with the seemingly slow development effort on Palm's part for such basic items as voice dialing - (that lack would have been a deal killer for me if I had been aware of it prior to purchasing this phone - as it is, I am not yet ticked off enough about it to go turn it in and select another phone - I still have about 2 weeks left on my 30 days)....  Haven't done it yet - generally remaining a happy camper as (current pricing considered) this phone is a cost-effective answer to most of what I wanted after doing so much "playing" with it.

Regarding GPS and GPS related apps - here again your situation/expectations and mine are different.  While a lot of them are "cool" - I generally know where I am at (even at this age), and am more interesting in finding stuff around me.  Currently using a copy of YPMobile for that and it works fine for my purposes.  Up to this point I absolutely refuse to add yet another $9.99 each month on my account for VZ Navigator and regardless of counter-opinions/statements, continue to believe that refusal is the explanation for why I am currently seeing cell antenna triangulation positional data rather than true GPS on my phone for my own location when I use google maps/etc.  Fine - that will be a filtering factor for a whole bunch of folks on whether or not to buy this phone, or for that matter whether to stick with it.  Court is still out for me - but I'll probably be sticking with mine.

IF - there is any truth to the rumors of Verizon FINALLY having iPhones available later this year, one will probably be added to my Verizon account - but NOT if I have to pay an additonal 9.99 just to get GPS to work.  (I don't plan to pay to store carry on luggage to the airlines either). <grump>

Anyhoo - good luck with the new one.  I do seem to be one of the lucky ones who got a good one right off the bat.  I didn't have to turn off my phone and "break in the keyboard" as described by someone else in the forums - mine worked right off the bat.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Note: Since that last post, and thanks to user "urbncwby" passing along a procedure involving removing/re-inserting the batter in this thread - I now have GPS working properly on my Palm Pre Plus, (your mileage may vary - mine now works).  He had mentioned the following app as part of that discussion:

Trapster App:

Avoid speed traps, red light cameras, and other roadway wallet hazards. The app gives you a spoken warning as you approach a potential ticket, such as "live police" or "speed camera."

Now I don't worry too much about speed traps and all that, simply because I follow the law as best as traffic will let me, and always make certain there is someone on the freeway nearby that is going faster than I am, (as an old fisherman, I believe in having some good "bait").

Just the same, (as previously mentioned), I like to know what is around me and was surprised to find there are a whole slew of red light cameras, (more than 10), within 3 miles of my home that I was unaware of.  That is good information and I'm going to keep this little app - even if I choose not to run it all the time. :smileywink:

OBTW, the more I play with YPMobile - the better I like that one.  Yellow Pages Mobile is a keeper in my book.

YPmobile App:
Search comprehensive business details, scan ratings, read reviews, get GPS-integrated maps, and connect with millions of local businesses and services right from your phone.

0 Likes