Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buyer Beware Before You Purchase a PALM
ttouloumis

I just wanted to share my experience with this device to caution others before they decide to purchase it.

I've been through three PALMs in the last week since my upgrade on April 3.  The first one had a big glue blot in the screen, and yet the tech seemed ot miss and still activated it.  I didn't notice until I went home, and immediately went back to the store and returned it.

The second one had a signal issue.  It would bounce from roaming to 5 bars on the 3G network all the time.  (Other people have had the same issue: http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Software/Inconsistent-Signal-Issue/td-p/206418).  I went back within two days, and got another brand new replacement.

The third has had an issue with typing double letters or missing letters entirely.  So, for example, I'll write "hhey hen arre we meeeting upp?" Very frustrating and unprofessional.  I went to Verizon and was told I needed to break the keyboard in.  I played with it for an entire weekend, and the issue just got worse.  I contacted Palm tech support via their live chat, and they told me "Tara, it has been come to our notice that it is happening with some of the devices. However, now it has been fixed with new devices. You can contact the Verizon store and get it replaced with a new one."

So off to Verizon I went again only to be foiled by Verizon's poor customer service.  The manager refused to replace the device, attributing the problems to a software issue.  She told me she had to put a "stop" to this at some point, seemingly placing the blame on me for getting three malfunctioning devices and promptly returning them. She told me this was a "known issue" and Palm was working on correcting it with an update, but all I could do was sit and wait.  Meanwhile, most of the evidence points to this being a hardware issue: (http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Hardware/Pre-Plus-Keyboard-Problems-Keys-not-being-recognized-or-dou...), (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/231153-does-your-pre-plus-double-type-letters-miss-them-entire...).  So despite the advice of the Palm tech to get a new device, Verizon told me to hang tight. 

As you can see, the device has issues, and Verizon and Palm are distributing mixed messages on how to fix these issues.  For all the money we pay to be locked into a two year contract, it shouldn't be this difficult to get a FUNCTIONING phone.  If you are unlucky enough to purchase a Palm and receive one with issues, good luck getting help from Verizon.  I can't help but feel victimized by this entire situation.  I admit that the WebOS is awesome, but Verizon's customer service and knowledge of the device is not.  Go with the Droid and save yourself the effort.

0 Likes
Re: Buyer Beware Before You Purchase a PALM
LCromwell

ttouloumis wrote:

I just wanted to share my experience with this device to caution others before they decide to purchase it.

I've been through three PALMs in the last week since my upgrade on April 3.  The first one had a big glue blot in the screen, and yet the tech seemed ot miss and still activated it.  I didn't notice until I went home, and immediately went back to the store and returned it.

The second one had a signal issue.  It would bounce from roaming to 5 bars on the 3G network all the time.  (Other people have had the same issue: http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Software/Inconsistent-Signal-Issue/td-p/206418).  I went back within two days, and got another brand new replacement.

The third has had an issue with typing double letters or missing letters entirely.  So, for example, I'll write "hhey hen arre we meeeting upp?" Very frustrating and unprofessional.  I went to Verizon and was told I needed to break the keyboard in.  I played with it for an entire weekend, and the issue just got worse.  I contacted Palm tech support via their live chat, and they told me "Tara, it has been come to our notice that it is happening with some of the devices. However, now it has been fixed with new devices. You can contact the Verizon store and get it replaced with a new one."

So off to Verizon I went again only to be foiled by Verizon's poor customer service.  The manager refused to replace the device, attributing the problems to a software issue.  She told me she had to put a "stop" to this at some point, seemingly placing the blame on me for getting three malfunctioning devices and promptly returning them. She told me this was a "known issue" and Palm was working on correcting it with an update, but all I could do was sit and wait.  Meanwhile, most of the evidence points to this being a hardware issue: (http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Hardware/Pre-Plus-Keyboard-Problems-Keys-not-being-recognized-or-dou...), (http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/231153-does-your-pre-plus-double-type-letters-miss-them-entire...).  So despite the advice of the Palm tech to get a new device, Verizon told me to hang tight. 

As you can see, the device has issues, and Verizon and Palm are distributing mixed messages on how to fix these issues.  For all the money we pay to be locked into a two year contract, it shouldn't be this difficult to get a FUNCTIONING phone.  If you are unlucky enough to purchase a Palm and receive one with issues, good luck getting help from Verizon.  I can't help but feel victimized by this entire situation.  I admit that the WebOS is awesome, but Verizon's customer service and knowledge of the device is not.  Go with the Droid and save yourself the effort.

I'd go to another Verizon store, not a Kiosk or independent rep. and one that has Tech support on staff and then get that tech supports mgr.

0 Likes
ASBOSTON

Mine has also been doing the double letters and I thought it was me not used to it!!! VERY frustrating.

0 Likes
ttouloumis

LCromwell wrote:

I'd go to another Verizon store, not a Kiosk or independent rep. and one that has Tech support on staff and then get that tech supports mgr.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I went to three different Verizon stores, all with tech support.  They all refused to acknowledge the issue.  Palm has at least acknowledged it, but won't say whether it's hardware or software.  It's a shame, this is a great operating system.

For more info on the double typing issue, see these forums:

http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Hardware/Pre-Plus-Keyboard-Problems-Keys-not-being-recognized-or-dou...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/231153-does-your-pre-plus-double-type-letters-miss-them-entire...

I think it's time to jump ship to another phone.

0 Likes
poodlemama9

I am a longtime user of Palm smartphones and was using Palm PDA before they had phones as part of the device.  I just returned my Palm Pre Plus after having it for 24 hours.  I hated it!!!  I debated upgrading ever since it came out because I was afraid the Web-OS would not be compatible with the Palm Desktop.  I should have never upgraded.  I bought a 3rd party software like was recommended and had help installing it and syncing with my Palm Pre Plus.  It takes some time to transfer the data from the desktop to the new Pre.  After it was synch and I went to verify the data, it was a mess.  Of course, the contacts transferred OK but everything else was not in the proper order.  The alarms for the calendar events didn't transfer.  The memos were totally disorganized and there was no way to fix them.  Then when I started trying to use the device as a phone, the screen kept timing out.  In general, I was frustrated and didn't like the touch screen or the qwerty keyboard.  I just didn't like the device!!!  So the next day I called Verizon and told them of my situation....They were not surprised.  Apparently, most former Palm users dod not like the Palm Pre Plus.  So, I deleted my data from the device (after much ado with Palm guiding me on how to do it) and have it boxed up and ready to return.  Verizon has been wonderful through it all and spent 3 hours with me getting my Palm Treo back to working and syncing wirelessly so I am back to being a happy Verizon user.  I will wait for a bit before I upgrade and it will be to a Blackberry I expect.  Certainly, if I have to start over with new entries of memos and tasks I might as well get a device that I like using.  Call me old fashioned but I prefer the keypad and a minimal touch screen to the full blown variety of the Pre Plus.  Thanks for listening.

0 Likes
M91-30
Novice

if you are more of an old-school PDA user, windows mobile 6.5 (soon to hopefully be 6.5.3) on the omnia 2 (with touchwiz over it) is a good one to check out. I will not buy a web os palm for the same reasons you do not like it, but the omnia 2 is a good mix of phone os and windows mobile. plus, you can always go to just straight windows mobile.

0 Likes