Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Convert DVD and play on Treo 700W ?
dogtag1968

My question is, will I be able to play converted DVD's ( to which ever format would be required ) on my Palm Treo 700W  Windows Media Player ? Of course by using an SD Memory card.

TIA

0 Likes
Re: Convert DVD and play on Treo 700W ?
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

You should be able to play converted videos on Treo 700W but the best way will be to just download TCPMP (Which is free) because it plays videos smoother and resize video display better than windows media player.

Plus it has a better support for MP$ and 3GP, which is my formats I perfer.

0 Likes
hammerjr

DVD contains mpeg2 video.  mpeg2 will not play on windows mobile media player--and it doesn't look like tcpmp plays mpeg2 either.  so you would have to extract the mpeg2 video and convert it to something else.  ffmpeg is one program that you could use.  could convert to xvid, ms compatible avi, or a lot of other.   you have to play around and see what gives best picture on your phone.  note that converting videos takes a LONG time.  I have not been successful in finding a media player that plays mpeg2 on my omnia 2.  

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

From the original post label explained that they wanted to know if they could play CONVERTED VIDEO and that was why I told them to use tcpmp to play 3gp or mp4, hopefully no one would be prepared to stick a 5 - 10 gig dvd on their phone to play it without converting it first. I

I use DVDFab to convert my videos but they are a bit costly but there is a number of applications that can do as well for less. Search www.handango.com they have a large selection of apps for converting videos for phones...

Hope this helps and answer question...

0 Likes
hammerjr

as stated ffmpeg does the job of converting-and is FREE.  you can pick your phone and it will convert to codec for it.  as far as using a different media player, I would suggest trying the one that came with phone first.  on omnia 2, converted videos play fine on windows media player with no scaling issues for me.  may be different on treo, but try the one you have first.  since neither samsung player or windows player will play mpeg1 or mpeg2 videos, I added pockettv (free) as it will play mpeg1.  I tape shows with computer and it tapes to mpeg1 or mpeg2.  I am stuck with some mpeg2 that I can't play without converting.  due to the time involved in converting, I just downloaded XVID copies which play great on samsung player.

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Treo 700W has a square screen device and I havent had many software to render the correct resolution for square screen device and also the performance of a Omnia 2 or Imagio is way diffrent than a Treo 700W, mpegs and divx demands a bit to run and thats why I use 3gp because I can match custom resolutions at high quality.

Try this one for your Treo 700W -  (It does almost every format that exist)

DVD Catalyst 3 - DVD and Video to Windows Mobile for $9.95

http://www.handango.com/catalog/ProductDetails.jsp?storeId=2218&deviceId=797&platformId=30&productId...

0 Likes
dogtag1968

Thank you for your replies. I haven't been able to try it in my Treo yet, but I downloaded ffmpeg and converted an avi file converted dvd from 1.15gb to 689mb . As soon as I find my SD Mem card I'll try it and update as to how it works.

Once again, Thx

0 Likes
hammerjr

when I was trying to convert my files to play, I used the one that says ms compatible avi-thinking it would play on windows media player.  but the samsung media player opened it and played it fine.  couldn't get windows media player to open it?  for some reason it got associated with samsung media player and noone was able to tell me how to try to get windows media player to open it-not that it mattered but I was just curious cause the samsung player tried to open the mpeg2 files but couldn't so I wanted to try to get windows media player to open them, but I couldn't figure out how to associate the files to widows media player.  but after reading I kinda figured that windows media player wouldn't be able to play mpeg2.  I wish there was freeware to play mpeg2 so didn't have to convert-- like pockettv for mpeg1 files.  if that doesn't work for you, try one of the other.  best to try with short 2 min clips of video so you don't waste time on long conversion only to find that it won't play.

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

@hammerjr

What file browser are you using because if you are using Rosco you can just hold on file and select "Open With" option and select WM Player from list but I ran into issues with curtian avi files playing on WM Player because it usually doesnt support the audio codac.

Just looked into ffmpeg since I havent used it in so long, looks like they have been developing over the years, I may give it a try when I get around the house.... Didnt know they changed so much, they may be better than the ones I use now.

Good looking out.

@dogtag1968

Also if you wanted to experiament with other application, they do have trials that let you see if you like it, also you can look at Slysoft AnyDVD Mobile, does well also.

0 Likes
dogtag1968

Just a short update, I installed ffmpeg in my Treo 700W and the MPEG4 video playes gr8. But I've run across a problem that I can't figure out.

I recieve an Error that states, " Player: MPEG4 AAC Audio Decoder not included ! It was removed from the offical install package because of intellectual property considerations.

If it's possible to add the decoder, I would sure appreciate some assistance on how to find and install it.

Thanks again for all of the replies, this forum is GREAT.

0 Likes