Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support
Drgoodbones2

The GPS feature is one of the main reasons I bought a smart phone.

It seems to be non-functional for the most part on the Pre Plus.

I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless tech support and was told:

1) this is not a GPS receiver in the phone; the location services uses info from the cell towers;

2) Inaccuracy withing 1-1/2 miles is normal;

3) Verizon is not aware that the GPS malfunction is a problem with the Pre Plus.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

This is a deal breaker for me.  I've had the phone 4 days.

Thanks.

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: GPS Problem denied by Verizon tech support
urbncwby

I bought my Pre 6 days ago myself and had the same GPS problem many people seem to be having. Had 1 replacement 3 days after and that didn't help either and today when I was just walking to Verizon Store for a 2nd replacement I got a perfect spot-on fix. One thing I did differently this time was I turned GPS off this morning, turned off the phone and replaced the battery and turned the phone and GPS back on... then after waiting about an hour (so GPS goes to sleep as people presume it does) I went out and fired up Trapster app and it locked right on. Then on my trip I tried minimaps and google maps and they locked right on as well. So I just returned back home and decided not to replace my phone for now. Hope this will stick and I won't have to replace this phone again as someone who switched to Verizon from Sprint, who had no GPS problems with my Pre on Sprint, GPS is also a deal breaker for me.

0 Likes
edalsie

I just returned from a trip from Toledo, OH to Albany, NY... at several places the 'location'  was off by way more than 1 1/2 miles. I was on I-90 eastbound and was 'located' on an east-west road some 5 miles north of my true location; it suddenly veered off and re-located me at least that much south of my actual location -- again another east-west road.

The "locator" is very inaccurate. Nowhere did it show me to be within 1 1/2 miles of my actual location. Right now it is locating me approx. 4 miles northwest of my true location -- and I'm stationary.

I'm using the 'Google Maps' app for my locations.

0 Likes
edalsie

I just turned off the device, removed the battery, replaced it, turned it back on and went back to Google Maps... I admittedly did NOT wait an hour... and my Google map location has now changed (I'm still stationary) ... it is still wrong, but now within approx. 2 miles of my location... an improvement?

0 Likes
urbncwby

edalsie: May I suggest doing the same procedure (removing battery etc that I mentioned above) and starting first with Trapster instead of Google Maps ? I know Google Maps had problems even on Sprint Pres. Let Trapster get a lock first, then try Google Maps. I think that will work better if you try it. As for Google Maps I'm sure Palm and Verizon are aware of the problems with it and are working towards a software fix as we speak.

0 Likes
edalsie

I downloaded Trapster... it shows my location only a mile off. Then I turn to Google maps and it has changed my location... now I'm 4 miles to the north east, instead of the north west.

Apparently I'd better wait for the 'fix' when it comes.

0 Likes
urbncwby

A mile off tells me that you have Google's location services on in the location services preferences menu (on top left) Make sure you turn off "Use Google Services" in that menu and only keep GPS checked. If you use google services the phone tends to default to AGPS, which is the reason you are getting a mile off readings. If you turn google services off phone uses the real GPS to try to find your location.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Hi urbncwby - just to give it a shot, I followed your "procedure" precisely, (including removing the battery and then replacing it).  Booted up the phone - went through the rest of your recommendation - it worked.

I stepped out on the driveway in the shade, turned on Google maps and saw the typical display indicating it was triangulating off of local antennas - the displayed position was about a block from my actual driveway.  After a little over a minute it got a GPS lock and essentially displayed where I was standing holding the pre plus.  On a whim I "pinched out" the display down to just a few blocks and went for a walk staring at my phone, (I'm sure my neighbors are either wondering what old dave is doing or closing their doors).  It followed me within 50 feet - (but generally more like 10-20) as I walked over to the closest main street and up that block.  Turned around and came back - intentionally walking around the cul-de-sac and watching it follow me around that circle.  When I got to my driveway, it had me nailed and I turned off google maps.

I don't know why this worked, and absolutely cannot understand the rationale behind your recommended procedure - only that it worked for me.

Thanks!

-=dave=-

0 Likes
urbncwby

You're welcome Dave! I posted a response to your precentral post as well. If you don't want triangulation to occur make sure you turn off Google Services from Location Services preferences menu. That forces phone to use the real GPS instead of AGPS.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

@urbncwby - I did just that, now GPS only.  Opened the Google Maps App and it took about 45 seconds to get a lock on my - display appears to be about 15 feet from where I am setting INDOORS under a roof with several antennas on it, including my 2 meter discone array.  COOL!

I have to say it was a bit spooky having it track me around that cul-de-sac - :smileywink:

There are plenty of words already written on GPS v/s personal/family security elsewhere.  I won't pursue that - but it is part of the reason I haven't been overly exited about this arena in the past.  If I were a hiker, bicyclelist, etc. I would be DOGGONE interested in getting this working and learning how to turn it on/off.

0 Likes