Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GPS question
PratherncLP

Why is my Palm Pre Plus reporting my GPS location as latitude 42.497 longitude -98.072 (Farmington, MN) when my actual location is Lat: 42.471733, Lng: -97.884899 (Creighton NE)?

More  importantly how do I fix it?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: GPS question
oldgeekster
Novice

You might want to take a look at some previous entries in these forums - GPS is the single most-reported problem in them.  According to VZWSupport on twitter, (as of several months ago), Verizon is working on a fix and for now the only work-around is to open VZNavigator - (you need to keep it open for about 45 seconds in my experience) - then, if you desire, decline the $10 per month service via the button at the bottom of the screen.  Doing so seems to "wake up" GPS for your Verizon Palm Pre Plus - you may then try to get a GPS fix via other programs and it should work, (for a limited time I might add).

There is another (software) work-around available by installing Preware, then using it to install a GPS patch, followed by a GPS-fix application. (See www.precentral.net forums for how to go about this).  I've had good success with it - others have had dissimilar results.

For now - I have (today) uninstalled both the patch and the app in anticipation of Verizon FINALLY releasing the much-anticipated WebOS update (OTA 1.4.5.1) - again, see other threads in these forums.  Don't know if the fix for the GPS problem will be included or not - but aim to find out - hopefully *very* soon - we shall see.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Just a quick follow up to my last response.  Last night my phone was updated to OTA 1.4.5 - after updating all of my apps and a device reboot, I attempted to use GPS and could not get a fix. (Multiple stabs using all of my gps-aware applications).  Opened VZNavigator - waited about 45 seconds - declined the $10 per month signup - then closed it.  Immediately, all of my gps related applications functioned in the expected manner.

Bottom line, nothing appears to have been done by Verizon to "fix" the GPS issue.  It would appear my phone's GPS capability continues to be essentially crippled using Verizon's service (it has to do with access to aGPS), unless I either yeild and tithe up yet another $10 per month, or continue using other means as a work-around.

I choose to do the latter.

I will make OTHER choices accordingly.  In the end, I always have the choice as to where my own money will be spent, and how much of it.

0 Likes
PratherncLP

The GPS in my wife's Palm Pixi+ works very well. Apparently (based on tonight's events) the GPS in my Palm Pre+ has decided to stop working. Is the Pixi have better hardware?

0 Likes
SydneyK

PratherncLP, I've noticed something off with GPS today too on my Pixi. When I go to Google Maps, it's still accurate and works fine. But when I open Aniweather, it says "Connection not available." When I refresh to my location, my city and current temps appear, but there's no longer an animation (sun, clouds, etc.). Maybe I'll try deleting and reinstalling.

I don't know that the Pixi hardware is better, but I have heard there are fewer GPS problems on the Pixi. Not sure why, but hopefully WebOS 2.0 will fix that.

0 Likes