Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hot Spot activation on reconditioned Palm Pre Plus
woodcat

I have a reconditioned Palm Pre Plus from Verizon and it will not stay connected to my laptop in Hot Spot mode. I have been using this feature, for months, with my previous phone. I have created a new network name and password. My computer recognizes the wireless signal from the phone. Sometimes the computer ask for the "network key" and sometimes the field is already filled in when that pop up appears. I don't remember my network key. If I click on the pre-filled in field, the computer seems happy with that. But the phone will connect and then disconnect immediately. We're close, But no cigar, with this. Palm support was not very much help. I am currently writing and sending this through my wife's Palm Pre Plus hot spot connection that works just fine.

Another thought.....Palm should continue to let Verizon offer the free hot spot connection with the new generation phones. This is the only reason I started with this phone. Why should we pay for a minutes plan, a data plan and then have another charge to use a feature the phone has built in. It is my understanding Verizon charges a fee even to tether your smart phone for internet connection.

Another, another thought. Have I lost my personal pictures from my previous phone? Palm/Verizon automatically transferred my contacts and email accounts. Seems like tech info for the Palm is not very well supported, or at best, hard to find..

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Hot Spot activation on reconditioned Palm Pre Plus
RoyB_VZW

Thank you everyone for chiming in on this issue. To woodcat, there are a few additional steps we would like for you to take. Please see below: 

- Ensure your pics are backed up to your PC (those that you were able to get on your replacement device.)

- Also be sure that you know your Profile information and can log in at palm.com/palmprofile

- On your phone:

• Tap and slide finger up on center gesture area
  • Slide screen to the left twice
  • Tap Device Info
  • Tap and slide screen up to show Reset Options
  • Tap Reset Options
  • Select Partial Erase - Warning: Erases applications you installed and all application settings and data. Does not erase personal files stored to the USB drive. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dagumcp

Try using the most relaxed security option "Open" just to see if your laptop will connect and stay connected. If that doesn't work I have another suggestion.

As for the pictures, Verizon should have told you that all of your media (pictures, videos, music, documents, etc) are stored either on a removable memory card or on non-removable memory in the phone, which is the case with the Pre+. If you've already given them your phone, sorry. If not you can plug it into your computer and select "USB drive". You can confirm everything is in place on the phone through the Internalz app in the catalog.

0 Likes
wushu2004
Novice

woodcat wrote:

Another, another thought. Have I lost my personal pictures from my previous phone? Palm/Verizon automatically transferred my contacts and email accounts. Seems like tech info for the Palm is not very well supported, or at best, hard to find..

It depends where the pictures came from and your default contact account.  If they were pictures you took with the phone, but you used Google Contacts, then they should work.  If you used the Palm Profile, well now that I think about it they should work too.

0 Likes
wushu2004
Novice

dagumcp wrote:

As for the pictures, Verizon should have told you that all of your media (pictures, videos, music, documents, etc) are stored either on a removable memory card or on non-removable memory in the phone, which is the case with the Pre+. If you've already given them your phone, sorry. If not you can plug it into your computer and select "USB drive". You can confirm everything is in place on the phone through the Internalz app in the catalog.

This won't help if they already activated their phone. 

0 Likes
RoyB_VZW

Thank you everyone for chiming in on this issue. To woodcat, there are a few additional steps we would like for you to take. Please see below: 

- Ensure your pics are backed up to your PC (those that you were able to get on your replacement device.)

- Also be sure that you know your Profile information and can log in at palm.com/palmprofile

- On your phone:

• Tap and slide finger up on center gesture area
  • Slide screen to the left twice
  • Tap Device Info
  • Tap and slide screen up to show Reset Options
  • Tap Reset Options
  • Select Partial Erase - Warning: Erases applications you installed and all application settings and data. Does not erase personal files stored to the USB drive. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dagumcp

wushu2004 wrote:
This won't help if they already activated their phone.

Not necessarily, as RoyB_VZW states above a "Partial Erase" on the Pre+ leaves the USB drive in-tact, which is a feature many phones have. However, I did make assumptions as to the type of their previous phone.

Also, did you check out the fix in this thread?

http://community.vzw.com/t5/HP-Palm-Discussions/Palm-Pre-Plus-hotspot-won-t-turn-on/td-p/229770

0 Likes