Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is 3G powerful enough to support a skype video call?
schwartz21

Can the 3G Hotspot on the Palm Pre carry a realtime skype video call without lags and stutters or do we have to upgrade to 4G?

0 Likes
Re: Is 3G powerful enough to support a skype video call?
lemew
Novice

I don't know that there is an app for skype for palm. If there is it should be able to utilize it. There is no forward camera however.

0 Likes
lemew
Novice

My apologies. I misread, yes, the hotspot should work for skype if you have good coverage and the towers aren't too congested.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

it should work, but i suspect there will be lags/stutters. i know many video call apps would state that you should only use them with wifi or 4g, but they would still work on 3g. and considering i used to skype on my pc 10 years ago, with dial up, i would suspect 3g would be better than what i was working with....lol.

0 Likes
TalkTo_Chuck

Simple answer: yes.

The iPhone 4S and 4 and many other devices support Skype over 3G.

However, 4G would allow for faster speeds, and as a result, better picture, less errors and freeze ups, and a better overall experience.

Also, I owned the Palm Pre+ with the hotspot feature, and yes, I was able to connect my MacBook to it and Skype a friend while on the interstate. Dont expect a flawless experience, but If the signal is strong, it will work.

0 Likes