Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Is the palm pre plus a good phone?
zshinall21

i have the kin one now and do not like it so i am going in either tommorow or sometime this weekend to use my 30 day exchange and i am trying to decide which phone i should get and i really am stuck on the Palm Pre Plus. I have heard good reviews and bad reviews, but they are mostly about the battery life anyways and i really do not care much about charging my phone when im not using it. Just wondering if this is a good phone if i am trying to avoid from spending a ton of money on a smartphone.

0 Likes
Re: Is the palm pre plus a good phone?
MacDaddy
Novice

zshinall21 wrote:

i have the kin one now and do not like it so i am going in either tommorow or sometime this weekend to use my 30 day exchange and i am trying to decide which phone i should get and i really am stuck on the Palm Pre Plus. I have heard good reviews and bad reviews, but they are mostly about the battery life anyways and i really do not care much about charging my phone when im not using it. Just wondering if this is a good phone if i am trying to avoid from spending a ton of money on a smartphone.

The Pre is the best phone Verizon's Got bar none. Webos is way smoother and refined then any other OS, Free Hotspot 5G. I have used Blackberry, Android, Apple, they all Pale to the Webos. Is the Pre a perfect phone? No, but what is. Great Screen ( But on the Small size) Keyboard is very useable.

0 Likes
zshinall21

thank you for your answer but i have heard a lot of problems with it crashing and things of that sort is that because you think the people are just doing way to much at one time on the phone or is it just something that happens out of no where?

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

zshinall21 wrote:

thank you for your answer but i have heard a lot of problems with it crashing and things of that sort is that because you think the people are just doing way to much at one time on the phone or is it just something that happens out of no where?

Haven't had a problem with my 2nd one, first phone cooked itself, (Short under keyboard) That can happen to any new product, 2nd phone is GREAT, Absolutely NO problems at all. Haven't shut it off since the 1.4.1.1 update came out, runs 24/7 no need to reboot. Works great on my Touchstone, I really can't complain at all. I've had the Pre since launch date, first one about a week, so it's been a while on this Pre, not like I have only had it a few weeks. If you do have a lockup, it's usually the Program your running, not the Phone itself. All Programs are not perfect. You can do way more with the Pre, With Preware you can have Homebrew apps and patches that do things that don't come with the OS, Customize many features, Themes and so on. Very Open Platform.

0 Likes
jaymobe07

I bought a used one and have had not had a single crash(webOS 1.4.1.1).

The touchstone charger is cool, but not required. 

The battery isn't the best but neither was the one on my  samsung  rogue that i had before it.  I recomend upgrading the battery when you can if you use your phone a lot.

The screen is very nice, when i looked at the one in the store i thought it was a dummy phone because of how clear it was.

The touch is pretty accurate.  A lot more accurate then the rogue.

It can run multiple apps, I enjoy the pinch zoom features.

The keyboard is small, starting get use to it after 2 weeks.  But i was use to the samsung rogue which has bigger keyboard.

The keys sometime dont recognize the input, other times they make double letters.

I had issue making a palm account.  Then i think the rep maybe bypassed it because i accidently reset it and when i went to log in it was stating the account didn't exist, so i made a new one and just redownloaded the apps i had.

webOS does not have nearly the apps as droid, even with preware, which i recomend by the way.(Needs to be installed while connected to computer)

The gesture area is pretty neat.

Can use music library as ringtones

The phone can get very hot when viewing videos.

The camera quality is not nearly as good as the rogue even though they were both 3MP

No expandable memory slot

contact list is annoying.  If you have your facebook account linked it will add all you 'friends' even if they have no numbers on their facebook profile.  It can also sync to other accounts like email.  But you can just add numbers manually if you dont want it sync'd with an account.

I dont have a problem with the size of the screen, it allows the phone to be smaller for folks like me that think the droids are to big for my hand and pocket.

Has a lot clearer/better youtube video playback then the samsung rogue

Can not tether via usb, nor can i find a free app that has this function.  Never used the wifi or bluetooth so i cant comment on those. 

Have anymore info questions, just ask.

0 Likes
koalabear30

Well, I just felt the need to respond to this post. I've had my Palm Pre for 3 months now, love the phone, however, I'm working on getting rid of it permenantly!!! In the first month I owned it, I had it replaced 4 times, I was in the store every week with nothing but problems with it shutting off, not receiving texts, etc. I'm still on phone #4, however I have nothing but problems with it and Verizon refuses to take care of the problem. They finally gave in and gave me a new battery last week figuring the problem with it dying all the time was the battery, well, apparently that's not the problem, because 28 hours later dead once again! I'm talking going to bed with it at 100% charged and waking up 6 hours later to it completely dead unable to power on at all. Stick it on the charger for 1 1/2 hours and it's got enough charge to let you know it's charging. And no, I don't have apps open all night while I'm sleeping, no I'm not using it while I'm sleeping, no I'm not leaving the hotspot on overnight, I'm doing absolutely nothing to it, but yet I wake up to it being dead (these are all the things Verizon tells me I must be doing in order for this to be happening). Today was the third time in the 1 1/2 weeks since they replaced the battery. I was offered to have it replaced with several different old phones as well as the LG Fathom and Ally, when I told them that I suppose I'd take either the Fathom or Ally, I was informed it was going to cost me a couple hundred dollars and they'd be preowned phones. Um I don't think so, if I'm going to be paying that kind of money for a pre-owned phone it had better be the Incredible (yes that is what I told them) needless to say I still have the Palm Pre, it's been on the charger all day, from 10:00 am EST til now 10:00 pm EST and it's still not at 100%, problem, looks it to me, but apparently I'm the problem, not the phone. I guess it just all of a sudden takes over 12 hours to fully charge with it not even being used half as much as I normally use it during the day considering I was at work for all but 2 of those 12 hours.

My opinion, stay away from the Palm Pre and also as far as I'm concerned, get away from Verizon, I know I will be.

0 Likes
jaymobe07

it's hard to beelieve you've had it replaced four timees and they all give problems.  Ii bought a used one and have zero problems.  Battery life does suck and it will be harrd going though the day if you use it a lot.  I'm at 24 percent 14 hhours off charger. My brightnes is 40 percent.  I have touchstone charger.  And reason why no free replacement is you had it 3 months.  Just complain more maybe you'll get a discount.  I love this phone.  

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

koalabear30 wrote:

Well, I just felt the need to respond to this post. I've had my Palm Pre for 3 months now, love the phone, however, I'm working on getting rid of it permenantly!!! In the first month I owned it, I had it replaced 4 times, I was in the store every week with nothing but problems with it shutting off, not receiving texts, etc. I'm still on phone #4, however I have nothing but problems with it and Verizon refuses to take care of the problem. They finally gave in and gave me a new battery last week figuring the problem with it dying all the time was the battery, well, apparently that's not the problem, because 28 hours later dead once again! I'm talking going to bed with it at 100% charged and waking up 6 hours later to it completely dead unable to power on at all. Stick it on the charger for 1 1/2 hours and it's got enough charge to let you know it's charging. And no, I don't have apps open all night while I'm sleeping, no I'm not using it while I'm sleeping, no I'm not leaving the hotspot on overnight, I'm doing absolutely nothing to it, but yet I wake up to it being dead (these are all the things Verizon tells me I must be doing in order for this to be happening). Today was the third time in the 1 1/2 weeks since they replaced the battery. I was offered to have it replaced with several different old phones as well as the LG Fathom and Ally, when I told them that I suppose I'd take either the Fathom or Ally, I was informed it was going to cost me a couple hundred dollars and they'd be preowned phones. Um I don't think so, if I'm going to be paying that kind of money for a pre-owned phone it had better be the Incredible (yes that is what I told them) needless to say I still have the Palm Pre, it's been on the charger all day, from 10:00 am EST til now 10:00 pm EST and it's still not at 100%, problem, looks it to me, but apparently I'm the problem, not the phone. I guess it just all of a sudden takes over 12 hours to fully charge with it not even being used half as much as I normally use it during the day considering I was at work for all but 2 of those 12 hours.

My opinion, stay away from the Palm Pre and also as far as I'm concerned, get away from Verizon, I know I will be.

Phone shutting off can be caused by how you carry it, if it presses on the on/off button. Not receiving text's could be a low signal area. As I said in a previous post, My first Pre Cooked itself, Battery would not charge and a new fully charged battery discharged in 15 minutes, phone got really hot you couldn't hold in your hand. It was 1 week old (Launch date Pre) I have had this one since then, and it's absolutely the best phone I have ever had bar none. (Blackberries included)  Have it replaced, until you have a good one, If Verizon doesn't get you a good phone contact Palm Direct.

0 Likes
pmcd1962

MacDaddy wrote:

koalabear30 wrote:

Phone shutting off can be caused by how you carry it, if it presses on the on/off button. Not receiving text's could be a low signal area. As I said in a previous post, My first Pre Cooked itself, Battery would not charge and a new fully charged battery discharged in 15 minutes, phone got really hot you couldn't hold in your hand. It was 1 week old (Launch date Pre) I have had this one since then, and it's absolutely the best phone I have ever had bar none. (Blackberries included)  Have it replaced, until you have a good one, If Verizon doesn't get you a good phone contact Palm Direct.

Is the GPS issue fixed?

0 Likes
Battery Issues: Incomplete Update?
dgoggans

I've had my Palm Pre for six months now, and the first few weeks were horrible with the battery going dead after a few hours. Verizon finally sent me a new battery, but that wasn't the problem. My theory is that when the phone received an OS update from Palm, it failed to reset properly.  I happened to take the battery out when Verizon tech asked me to look for water damage (this was before they replaced it. There was no water damage). Simply putting the battery back in created a reset that seems to have solved the problem.  Same original battery in use for five months now, and it stays charged at least fifty percent after twenty four hours. I used it to text a lot and receive phone calls from work. I Love the phone with one glaring exception: No Voice Dialing is ridiculous.  I'm on the road a lot and can't dail the phone and drive at the same time. Maddening, to say the least. Other than that, it's a great phone.When voice dialing becomes available, and they finally get Adobe Flash, it will be perfect.

Note to Palm:  Your battery life meter is deceiving. The phone will run for at least a day after the battery meter shows 25 per cent. On any other phone, that reading would be a problem. You may have been a bit too conservative with the readout. Just my opinion, but you're doing the phone a disservice and creating a lot of needless anxiety.

0 Likes