Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
No true tethering plan for Pre Plus!
belanger

I've had a Treo 650 then a 700P for the four years or so that I've been a Verizon customer.  I paid ~$45 for "unlimited" SmartPhone data and another $15 for "unlimited" tethering for a total of ~$60.  Via the website, I upgraded to a Pre Plus.  For some reason, I had to call in to an operator to activate and before doing so, I asked to confirm that I'd still have my same data plan.  He told me that instead he could offer me an ~$30 SmartPhone plan, but the tethering plan was now called Mobile HotSpot, was constrained to 5G/month and would nearly triple in cost to $40 for a total of ~$70.  Basically, Verizon wants to charge me more and offer me less.

I know the device is technically capable of one-to-one tethering, so this seems to be an exceptionally short-sided business decision by Verizon.  According to the same rep, my average tethering usage didn't even cross a gig per month, so the idea of spending that much more is just offensive.

Sadly, it looks like it's time to investigate what Sprint and AT&T offer.  Happily, I have 30 days to cancel and return my upgrade without any penalty!

0 Likes
Re: No true tethering plan for Pre Plus!
MacDaddy
Novice

belanger wrote:

I've had a Treo 650 then a 700P for the four years or so that I've been a Verizon customer.  I paid ~$45 for "unlimited" SmartPhone data and another $15 for "unlimited" tethering for a total of ~$60.  Via the website, I upgraded to a Pre Plus.  For some reason, I had to call in to an operator to activate and before doing so, I asked to confirm that I'd still have my same data plan.  He told me that instead he could offer me an ~$30 SmartPhone plan, but the tethering plan was now called Mobile HotSpot, was constrained to 5G/month and would nearly triple in cost to $40 for a total of ~$70.  Basically, Verizon wants to charge me more and offer me less.

I know the device is technically capable of one-to-one tethering, so this seems to be an exceptionally short-sided business decision by Verizon.  According to the same rep, my average tethering usage didn't even cross a gig per month, so the idea of spending that much more is just offensive.

Sadly, it looks like it's time to investigate what Sprint and AT&T offer.  Happily, I have 30 days to cancel and return my upgrade without any penalty!

Come on Verizon this is just DUMB business. Charge 10 dollars more on your basic Smartphone plan and everyone would use it. (Which would mean more profit in the long run). I still don't think you guys get it, Charge an outrageous price and no one will want it, Charge a reasonable price (Seeing you already are charging for internet) and sell out the service!

[edited content to be in compliance with Terms of Service and User Guidelines]

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

I take back my last post! Mobile Hotspot is now a FREE feature on the Palm Pre, Way to go Verizon!!!! This will definitely help with sales of the Pre, and thus increase Data plans purchased, Bottom line is it's a win win for both the consumer and Verizon, You guys finally got it right!

0 Likes
woyala

Yup, I guess this was the move needed to compete with the EVO 4G Hotspot.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

woyala wrote:

Yup, I guess this was the move needed to compete with the EVO 4G Hotspot.

now they just need to compete with Sprints Pricing!!

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Seeing the announcement on Mobile Hotspot was indeed welcome.  Now if they would do the same for VZNavigator I would be a happy camper.

0 Likes