Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Re: Palm Pre Plus GPS issue
oldgeekster
Novice

Just a side note, (lessons learned), if/when you call the "90 day free technical support number" that came with your phone, make sure you are calling on a different line than the phone you are having problems with or they cannot help you.  Also be prepared to be patient - your "helper" is typing everything in and you are obviously feeding a huge tech support database. If you are dissatisfied with your "helper" you may ask to speak to his/her supervisor or a level 2 support assistant who is familiar with your particular problem(s).  JMHO, but again, based upon RECENT personal experience.

-=dave=-

0 Likes
AlbanyHDTV

I find it incredibly frustrating that Verizon has neither acknowledged the GPS problem nor offered a resolution.  I had to pay $149 for the Pre+ and got locked into a two year plan AND a $29.99/month data plan.

In two years, I will look harder at SPrint, since their GPS chip works on the Pre and their monthly service cost is much lower.

I am a longtime Palm user:  Tungsten E2 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre.  This GPS issue AND the doubletype/no type keyboard is a real PITA.

Get your act together, Verizon.  FIX THESE ISSUES and DO IT NOW!

0 Likes
Palmowner

I received a voicemail message on my phone last night (I was away and didn't catch the call) from a Verizon tech.  She was very polite, and seemed quite concerned that I was having GPS issues, but was completely unaware of any issues reported for the Pre Plus!  She promised to escalate the problem to Verizon support and to contact Palm. 

What's sad is that a Verizon support employee is trying to help but due to lack of any interest from her management she comes across as being incompetent and clueless.  Having managed a call center at one point in my working career I know how important it is to keep agents up to date on information so that they don't provide inaccurate information, start troubleshooting a known issue (with no known solution), or appear uninformed.

Why won't Verizon of Palm provide both their employees and their customers with accurate information and recognition of the issue?

I'm leaving for the UK (if the volcano allows) for a few weeks, it will be interesting to see if anything has changed when I return.

0 Likes
bobcatbull

has anyone even got Verizon to accept they have a problem?  Seriously, fix the problem.  I realize that palm may not be around for a long time, but you sold the phones now support them, or should we just expect 2 years of this till we can switch to a carrier that knows how to take care of there phones.

0 Likes
rwinger

We have 3 Pre Plus phones in our home/family (and a Droid). Two of us have some sort of GPS problems all the time (Google Maps taking forever to locate us, showing us about a mile to the west of where we actually are, not recognizing that we are moving, etc...). The only device working fine is the one using VZ Navigator (the Droid user is very happy as well). No matter how much VZW denies this problems and how much VZW support shows it cares, a user with half a brain can put 2+2 together. It is most likely Verizon "protecting" their VZNav revenue stream.

Thanks... We will be shortly returning our devices (Thanks Worry Free guarantee) and switching when our contract comes up for renewal.

0 Likes
danib62

When will verizon release the webOS 1.4.1 update? Also I really hope a GPS fix is coming. I'm starting to get frustrated with Verizon Wireless as these issues seem to only plague the Verizon Pre Plus.

0 Likes
MrHyde

The 1.4.1.1 updats has not fixed the GPS issue at all.  Verizon...  Please fix the GPS issue.  The Palm Pre Plus has a built in GPS receiver.  It should work with out having to start up the VZ navigator program.  There are so many apps in the Palm app catelog that use the Pre +'s GPS feature.  all those apps are crippled due to this issue.  Please fix the problem.  If I want turn by turn I'll buy VZW Nav.  But if I dont want turn by turn, I should be able to use the applications that use the built in GPS.  Please make it work soon. 

0 Likes
Returned My Palm Pre Plus
Not applicable

I returned my phone after 2 weeks of suffering and stresses related to the GPS problem.

When I showed up at the Verizon Store, the SALES REP tried to convince me that the Palm Pre Plus DOES NOT HAVE AN ACTIVE GPS.

I showed him how the GPS works and he then admitted that something was wrong!!!

Please please Verizon, please make me return to a Palm Pre Plum and please make me stay as a Verizon Customer.

I am seriously considering on moving to an iphone if I don't hear about a patch to fix this problem.

0 Likes
Drgoodbones2

I returned my Pre Plus a week ago.

Besides the GPS issue, I didn't like having to use the keyboard in vertical position when it is often more convenient to look at email or web page in landscape mode.

Also, there were problems of syncing all the essential business productivity tools.

I just got a new HTC Incredible last night.

I'm very impressed .... and I'm hard to impress.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

----------

The 1.4.1.1 updats has not fixed the GPS issue at all.  Verizon...  Please fix the GPS issue.  The Palm Pre Plus has a built in GPS receiver.  It should work with out having to start up the VZ navigator program.  There are so many apps in the Palm app catelog that use the Pre +'s GPS feature.  all those apps are crippled due to this issue.  Please fix the problem.  If I want turn by turn I'll buy VZW Nav.  But if I dont want turn by turn, I should be able to use the applications that use the built in GPS.  Please make it work soon.

----------

MrHyde, I have to agree.  Initially it worked, then after 2 days I am right back to where I was before.  Suspect the reboot associated with the update once again put me on the cycle and gave the false impression it was working in the expected manner.  Funny, I can get it to work for a while - then have to go through the business of calling up VZNavigator and tossing it again before I can get it to respond. (I have 5 apps, of which 3 are paid apps, that work well with GPS but only when it is still functioning on my Pre+...

-=dave=-

0 Likes