Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palm Pre Plus GPS issue
Palmowner

Is there going to be a fix for the GPS issues with the Palm Pre Plus?  Many folks have discussed this problem with Google Maps not functioning without "waking up" the GPS system in the Pre Plus (seems to be unique to Verizon).  The work around that seems most effective is to launch Verizon Navigator and then decline the purchase offer.  While there are a lot of conspiracy theories regarding Verizon's desire to sell it's navigator service, my guess is there is just a bug in the implementation of Google maps and/or navigator that is effecting the GPS receiver.

If a Verizon rep is monitoring this board can we get a response?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Palm Pre Plus GPS issue
MacDaddy
Novice

Palmowner wrote:

Is there going to be a fix for the GPS issues with the Palm Pre Plus?  Many folks have discussed this problem with Google Maps not functioning without "waking up" the GPS system in the Pre Plus (seems to be unique to Verizon).  The work around that seems most effective is to launch Verizon Navigator and then decline the purchase offer.  While there are a lot of conspiracy theories regarding Verizon's desire to sell it's navigator service, my guess is there is just a bug in the implementation of Google maps and/or navigator that is effecting the GPS receiver.

If a Verizon rep is monitoring this board can we get a response?

Thanks

nope, it's Verizon sticking it to you AGAIN. They want you to pay for their [edit] navigator to be able to use the GPS accurately. They did the same thing to the blackberry users until enough people complained, Android phones have the Google that's not crippled, Why cripple certain phones, come on Verizon, making a profit is one thing, but shafting and holding customers hostage isn't the way to do business.

0 Likes
Palmowner

I suppose Verizon may be trying to "sell" their navigator service, but if that's the case then why does starting the service and declining the offer to buy enable GPS?  I'm still giving Verizon the benefit of the doubt on intention and guessing a software bug.  BTW, I am not a great Verizon supporter, just believe in data rather than suspicion.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
urbncwby

It's not Verizon trying to sell VZ Navigator. It was just Verizon trying to back themselves up legally before releasing 1.4.1 update which will presumably unlock access to GPS by third party applications. I received this notice in my first replacement box of Palm Pre Plus. I typed it for everyone else as I have never seen such a notice posted anywhere yet and people are returning their phones for GPS issue without waiting for the software update.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CUSTOMERS PURCHASING THE PALM PRE PLUS AND THE PIXI PLUSVerizon Wireless is the mobile carrier associated with this wireless device, but many services and features offered through this wireless device are provided by or in conjunction with third parties. Verizon Wireless is not responsible for your use of this wireless device or any non-Verizon Wireless applications, services, and products including any personal information you choose to use, submit, or share with others. Specific third party terms and conditions, terms of use, and privacy policies shall apply. Please review carefully all applicable terms and conditions and policies prior to using this wireless device and any associated application, product, or service. If you use any location-based services offered through this wireless device by Palm, Google, or others, you may give such third parties the right to access, collect, use and transmit your location data. You may also choose to give such third parties a limited right to collect and use your location information on an anonymous, aggregate basis to make product and service improvements, and as permitted by the applicable terms of use. This notice does not amend any applicable terms and conditions you have with Verizon Wireless. Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions and certain other specifically identified terms and conditions govern your use of any Verizon Wireless products and services.

0 Likes
AvdSpm

Verizon!  Enough is enough already.  Please release this update. You have no idea how many applications are broken because we're all waiting for this update.  Not to mention that I'm tired of not having a GPS on this phone when Sprint users are working fine!  Please release this soon!

0 Likes
blueray

To any Verizon moderators:

Can you tell us what your timeline for 1.4.1 is to release for the Pre Plus?  I am very anxious to receive this update (due to broken apps) and am hoping GPS will be fixed in this release too.

0 Likes
KLN5942

Well how deceptively sneaky is this?! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Of course, not a soul at the Verizon store made mention that most GPS apps would NOT work with this phone when I was there upgrading my phone a few weeks ago. I had downloaded 2 apps to try out that track your walking/jogging workouts and or course, neither could pinpoint my location. I figured they just didn't work where I lived, but I was still disappointed. Then I read on here that if I open up VZ Navigator first, it unlocks the GPS and ta-dah! GPS workout tracking works, I just tried it. Well, that's great to know! VZ Navigator is free for the first month of my new service and I was actually kinda digging it and thought about paying for it when the free month ran out. Now I don't want to just out of spite. These are disclaimers they should really give you when you buy the phone. Is there any false advertising here? I was wondering why CitySearch couldn't find any restaurants nearby. Now I know. If I didn't want GPS I would not have gotten a smartphone. I hope people on here are right and Verizon is fixing this situation, because it stinks of bad business practices.

0 Likes
tallarob

Please add me to the list of people requesting the GPS feature to be addressed witht he Palm Pre.  I love my pre, but would sure like to have a reliable GPS.

0 Likes
AlanK

I would also like to see the GPS issue fixed for my Palm Pre Plus.

0 Likes
bobcatbull

My GPS works great....  As long as I am in Verizon's Navigator Application.  :robotmad:

Verizon is either doing this on purpose, or they are to lazy to realize that there Navigator program is breaking the GPS. 

Its pretty simple, if I don't have navigator open GPS does not work in any applications and ##477# can't find a Satellite.  But if I turn on the $10 Verizon app, amazingly all my apps including Google maps and smart runner work, and smart runner shows I have 4 bars on my GPS signal, where with Navigator on it get zero. 

0 Likes