Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palm Pre Plus: why have it Verizon if it`s no good for your customers?
ghtrvlr

I have a Verizon Palm Pre Phone and it is the absolute worst phone I ever owned and I have owned mobile phones back when you needed a operator to place the call., I have had this for for 3 months with 3 warranty replacements in 3 weeks the first two phones would not build a palm profile account phone 3 and 4 the verizon system does not recognize the  phone`.the s ESN I have spoke with both Palm and Verizon`s techs for hours with no help I have been blind transferred back and forth hung-up on by a verizon supervisor and the best help I can get is  suggested I buy a new phone. What about this phone Verizon phone  it`s 3 months old and still under warranty.  I have not had a working phone since 11/27/10 there customer service stinks for a guy who spends 500.00 a month. You are not the only game in town.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Palm Pre Plus: why have it Verizon if it`s no good for your customers?
gmarker1

Just to Chime in on your frustrations, I have had four replacement Palm Pre Plus within the the warranty period, each time I had a horrible experience with restoring data. This is because only the data from the built-in app's that sync with Google is backed with Palm backup program. All other 3rd party app's you are on your own and need to backup the data if allowed separately. So beware of this GOTCHA!!! I was really disappointed with my most recent failure, I requested a different phone stating that enough was enough and the best response I got from Verizon 800 customer service was a used first generation (The very first Motorola Droid). So I'm still using the Palm Pre. The concept is great and when it works, a-OK but the problem with the Pre is memory and it simply locks up and you literally have to reset (restart) to clear the memory to get the phone functioning again. The only answer I have read about is to install Preware and download a hack version of a overclock app, that will void your warranty if that creates a problem. I may gamble and try it as the phone is useless 75% of the time. Now if HP who bought Palm put some resources into the Palm Pre and gets a Web 2.0 version update that may resolve the memory-performance issues, I would stick with the Pre. However, that may or may not happen. The thing that really ticks me off is the fact that Verizon has basically shunned this phone, keeping accessories in the back and not even having a display unit in their stores. They know it's a dog and you always keep your dog in the Doghouse. A recent chat with a Verizon tech told the whole story. Most Verizon employee's consider the Palm Pre as a Toy or a Hacker's Phone. The paradox is that I actually like the Phone and Web OS in general when it works!!!!!!  I will say on a positive parting note is that the accessories are really cheap, I bought a extra USB charger for $11 the other day at my local Verizon store.

0 Likes
PalmPreNonUser

My third palm pre is dying in less than 8 months.  I came here to hopefully find out a better solution before being forced into getting a 4th Pre.  This is ridiculous.  Why continue to sell the phone if they know it is junk?  They keep telling me I have a free upgrade on my account,  why would I burn that if I haven't done anything to deserve the bad phone in the first place. 

Local stores have been no help.  I was hoping online customer service would be better.

From the looks of it, it isn't going to get any better.

0 Likes
MDsmartphone

Unfortunate to hear your stories re: the palm pre plus.

On the flip side, I have had my phone since Jan 2010 and have had NONE of the problems you guys have mentioned.

To be honest, do not rely on verizon tech support re: palm webOS devices, as either they werent trained by palm when the devices were released, or they didnt pay mind to learn the ins and outs of webOS devices.  you'll get better tech support from palm, or even better from fan sites such as precentral or webOSroundup.  verizon is all into android these days, so if you have an android device, you will get much better tech support from verizon. 

re: backup- the webOS devices are the easiest to wipe clean, or "doctor" your phone when you want to bring the device back to its factory default, and/or sell the device.  Its also the easiest to "hack" or "homebrew" which interestingly enough, is supported by hp and palm, unlike other platforms.  "homebrewing" is as easy as installing apps on your phone.  homebrewing should also NOT void your warranty.  "Overclocking" on the other hand, while a great tool for palm devices and also as simple as installing an app, WILL void your warranty because you are now affecting the hardware of the phone directly.  Do so at your own risk, though to be honest, it makes the phone SOOOOOOO much faster its hard to be without.  To  each their own.

Re: contact backup, I would recommend that you do NOT use the default palm profile to back up my calender, contact, and other entries, until HP or PALM one day allows you to access this info in the cloud or on desktop sync software.   I would recommend instead using one of the free syngergy services such as google or yahoo, or alternatively use third party software to sync with outlook or even palm desktop.  This way, all of your contacts, calender entries, and emails will ALWAYS have a backup stored somewhere else, and can easily be synced back to your webOS devices if you ever need to "doctor" or reboot your phone from scratch.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
GAGendel

I've had nothing but good experiences with my Palm Pre.  Initially, I felt it was too slow and had a very short a battery life.  However, I'm currently using the HomeBrew AV8B (Harrier) kernel and it runs 2x the performance and 5x the battery life of the stock kernel.  If you haven't checked out precentral.com and the homebrew community then you're missing a lot.

I've have had my Pre replaced twice (both recently).  The first time the USB cover broke off and the second time it got stuck into headset mode.  I had no problem dealing with Verizon customer support or recovering all my information after activation.  I do suggest that you sync your contacts with Google.  They have great duplicate finder and merge capabilities which helps a lot when you have 800+ contacts like I do.

BTW, there are several homebrew applications that help when backing up and restoring the data that Palm doesn't backup.  I use one that allows me to back up all my apps and data to my computer hard drive.  They even have some patches to fix the GPS issue that Verizon added (only Verizon's navigation system works because they lock out the other applications from aGPS access).

I'm hoping that Verizon starts pushing WebOS 2.0.  I'm interested in seeing how well the voice commands and "Just Type" functionality adds to the WebOS experience.

Gary

0 Likes
teekers

AMEN... I AM NOT ALONE!!  IT IS THE WORST PHONE EVER.  ONE SHOULD HOPE THEY DONT NEED TO CALL 911 IN A HURRY CUZ YOU'LL DIE BY THE TIME YOU GET THE THING TO WORK!!  VERIZON OFFERS NO HELP EXCEPT REPLACE WITH ANOTHER PIECE OF CRAP OR "BUY A NEW PHONE"....   TMOBILE...  STRAIGHT TALK....  SOMEBODY MUST HAVE BETTER SERVICE.   LONG TIME CUSTOMER OF 200 + A MONTH OF VERIZONS.... 

0 Likes