Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palm bought out by HP, buy Pre now, or wait?
PaulGoze

So I've been planning on getting a Palm Pre for a long time now, and despite all the terrible things I've heard about it, I still want it (call it brand loyalty, maybe? I know it makes no sense). Anyway, I just read that HP bought out Palm and plans on working on webOS. Now my question is, should I buy a Pre now, or should I wait to see what happens with HP?

My theories are as follows. Several things can happen: If I wait, HP MIGHT produce a better webOS phone in the very near future.

If I don't wait and buy the Pre now, two things can happen: The Good: HP decides that the Pre is worth the investment, works on releasing more updates to fix bugs, expands webOS, etc.

The Bad: After buying a Pre, Palm disappears, customer services disappears, webOS is scrapped, updates stop coming out to fix bugs on the device, I'm stuck with a useless phone, etc.

Any speculations?

What do you think?

0 Likes
Re: Palm bought out by HP, buy Pre now, or wait?
MorganB

Most companies after purchasing another company still tend to support the original company's products for up to a year or more.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

PaulGoze wrote:

So I've been planning on getting a Palm Pre for a long time now, and despite all the terrible things I've heard about it, I still want it (call it brand loyalty, maybe? I know it makes no sense). Anyway, I just read that HP bought out Palm and plans on working on webOS. Now my question is, should I buy a Pre now, or should I wait to see what happens with HP?

My theories are as follows. Several things can happen: If I wait, HP MIGHT produce a better webOS phone in the very near future.

If I don't wait and buy the Pre now, two things can happen: The Good: HP decides that the Pre is worth the investment, works on releasing more updates to fix bugs, expands webOS, etc.

The Bad: After buying a Pre, Palm disappears, customer services disappears, webOS is scrapped, updates stop coming out to fix bugs on the device, I'm stuck with a useless phone, etc.

Any speculations?

What do you think?

Palm isn't going anywhere, HP bought it for the express purpose of having WebOs, And HP knows the smartphone and Tablet's is the future of computing and their going to roll with it, What you will see in my opinion is New hardware running WebOs from Palm/HP

as for support, I wouldn't worry at all about it (Not since HP is now involved)

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

The buyout won't be completed until July.  Doubt we are going to hear much from anyone at HP that isn't in marketing until that happens.  I agree with MacDaddy - palm isn't going anywhere - but the market is going to change dramatically between now and September.

0 Likes
M91-30
Novice

HP can't do any worse than palm did with their own devices. palm used to be on top, they has awesome OSs, good phones, sweet PDAs, then they gave up on PDAs (life drive and Tx were the last two produced, and they were done years ago), the last phones were released in 2009 for alltel and 2007 for verizon, then not another one until this year. now, when I think of palm, I think palm os 5, not some web based OS. this OS looks and feels nothing like palm OS, and if I were to buy a palm, I would personally want the more powerful palm OS back.

anyways, I would anticipate HP continuing development of these phones, not dropping it.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

More Powerful Palm OS??  comparing Palm Os to WebOs is like comparing a stone tablet to a supercomputer. Doesn't even come close, was it reliable, Yes but no where near as capable

0 Likes
M91-30
Novice

from what I've seen/used of both OSs/devices, I prefer palm OS as far as usability/function, not to mention that not being able to use a stylus and/or graffiti takes away the whole palm experience for me.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Funny, one of the things I absolutely *LOVE* about WebOS is the use of gestures and NO STYLUS necessary...  Each to his/her own I guess. :smileyhappy:

(Then again, I like my shotgun over throwing rocks).

0 Likes
M91-30
Novice

you did not "need" to use a stylus, but it was an option if you need the precision.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Oh I know - started with the m-130. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes