Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Palm pre Hotspot
sandles

Hi- I have the palm pre and was wondering can the mobile hotspot be used as mobile broadband connection?   2) Are there any extra fees associated (other than the data plan) 3) How secure is it?   When traveling does the connect incur roaming fees?

0 Likes
Re: Palm pre Hotspot
joliejolie0930

I just got my Palm Pre Plus this week. I can answer some of your questions. I had a pay as you go USB mobile broadband from another company. I used my built in hotspot today, was up and going in less than a minute (set up and connecting). I set a password though because as soon as I connected someone close by connected...my phone beeped and it showed someone connected so I shut it off set the password and reconnected. It runs faster than the pay as you go from the other company did.

As for price, it does not use your data plan, it is separate. Did you get your phone with the special of the mobile hotspot free (5gb limit per month, and charged per mb over that limit? Otherwise I believe they told me it was $30 a month value.

I'm not sure about the roaming charge question, someone should come along with the answer to that. My guess is depending on your plan, I don't get any roaming charges call wise so I don't believe I would with the hotspot but as I said I just got my phone and loving it.

0 Likes
joliejolie0930

Also a reminder since it is separate from your data plan and does not use your data plan...REMEMBER to shut off your hotspot otherwise when you go out to connect to the internet for checking email, etc it will use up your hotspot allowance not your data plan. That will make a big difference in your monthly bill!

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

sandles wrote:

Hi- I have the palm pre and was wondering can the mobile hotspot be used as mobile broadband connection?   2) Are there any extra fees associated (other than the data plan) 3) How secure is it?   When traveling does the connect incur roaming fees?

2) No extra fees, but you will get charged for data use over the Free 5G. NOTE: all data transfered (Phone and WIFI Device's) when Hotspot is active counts on the 5G limit, so always remember to turn off the hotspot when done tethering. 

3) As secure as any WIFI network as long as you have WAP and a Password setup.

0 Likes
jw1953

I am considering getting a Palm pre, but was wondering if the time you are using it as your WiFi connection for your laptop it counts against your monthly minutes ?

Thanks,
joe

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

jw1953 wrote:

I am considering getting a Palm pre, but was wondering if the time you are using it as your WiFi connection for your laptop it counts against your monthly minutes ?

Thanks,
joe

Re-Read my last post, Data is Data, has nothing to do with your Cell Minutes. When WIFI is turned on ALL data counts on the 5G limit, Phone Data and Tethered devices.

0 Likes