Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Possible purchase Palm Pre Plus
anmldr

I have a decision to make soon. It looks like Verizon's coverage is far better than ATT in my area. I am now using the iPhone (1st Gen) on ATT. BUT, I have pre-ordered the iPad Wi-Fi 3G. I see that the Palm Pre Plus allows for up to 5 devices to connect to the Internet through it's service. Would it be wise to purchase a Palm Pre Plus through Verizon, discontinue my iPhone fro ATT and then use the Palm Pre Plus' web access for my iPad (an iPhone if I chose to do so) with Wi-Fi? I have not researched this completely yet. Just wanted some other people's opinion on this.

If I did it this way, is there a plan for unlimited access for the other devices or is it limited? If unlimited, I could also connect my laptop through it. But, to do this, it would need to be pretty fast access or I wouldn't be satisfied for my laptop use.

Thanks,
Linda

0 Likes
Re: Possible purchase Palm Pre Plus
oldgeekster
Novice

Not certain I would agree with doing what you were talking about arbitrarily.  The iPad hasn't even been delivered yet - and Verizon has only JUST made Mobile Hotspot free, (if I understand it correctly, for up to 5gigs of data transfer per month). How would the 5 gig limit affect your operation with the iPad? Will it even connect? How would one know?

With all of this stuff having been recently announced/sold and yet to be delivered, if I were in your position I would want to do a lot MORE research before making such a move.  For me, technical assumptions have a bad habit of leading to disappointments. :smileywink:

Of course, that is why you made your post in here to begin with - seeking more information.  Possibly someone else will have some hard data/experience to share and not just assumptions/opinions?

0 Likes
anmldr

>The iPad hasn't even been delivered yet

Perhaps not delivered but 300,000 were sold in the Apple Stores on Saturday Smiley Happy

I pre-purchased the 3G-WiFi version and it won't be delivered until (supposedly) later this month.

>and Verizon has only JUST made Mobile Hotspot free

I just started my research and did not realize that this was that recent. Thanks.

>5gigs of data transfer per month

That helps.  I had not found that info yet.  That rules out my laptop for sure.

>Will it even connect?

I would think so if I was using Wi-Fi. 

>How would one know?

Has anyone here tried to connect an iPod Touch or iPhone using the Wi-Fi connection of the Palm Pre Plus?  If so, then the Wi-Fi of the iPad should work as well.

>Of course, that is why you made your post in here to begin with - seeking more information

That's right.  This is only the beginning and you did help about the limits.

Thanks again,

Linda

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Hi Linda,

It is my understanding the iPads sold over the weekend were all WiFi only - you are waiting for a WiFi-3G delivery - the latter is what I was alluding to that "hasn't been delivered yet" - at least not to the public. :smileywink:

One of my kids and several of my grandkids own iPod Touch (varients - 16 gig, 32 gig) but NONE of them bought an initial release item from Apple, (old horror stories/lessons learned) - they waited a generation.  The iPod Touch has no difficulty joining my WiFi network when they are here and I look forward to letting them connect to "Papa's hotspot" later this year when we go camping.  Of course, I will be askin them to stick with eMail and essentials which are relatively cheap for web surfing.  5 Gigs really isn't all that much if they want to try some hard-core downloads/streaming/etc. - but it is a TON of eMail/SMS.

As it is, a ton of folks are reporting WiFi connection problems with the units sold this weekend, (have a peek at the Apple support forum), or Wired Gadgetlab has a report out on it. Hopefully the one you ordered (with 3G) won't run into that stuff.

Again, my recommendation would be to cheat - let others try it, then proceed/back away based upon hard information that you didn't have to pay for. :smileyhappy:

JMHO as always....

0 Likes