Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pre Plus problem: double-key entry
homepre

I'm having an issue with my Palm Pre Plus that I've seen reported elsewhere (including Wikipedia and the Palm community forums).  Thanks to Google search I know it isn't "just me" having this problem.

When typing a message I get multiple's of certain letters (usually the T, Y, L, and M).  And some letters don't appear at all - however I'm not sure yet whether that is me pressing two buttons at once or not pressing hard enough.

So a message would look like "Heyy Bob, ow's lllife oiiing?"   Sometime it is two of the same, and sometimes I get 3 of the same letter.

I've resorted to typing with my fingernail tips to make sure I press each button one at a time rather than my whole finger tip.  It doesn't make a difference.

Anyone else having this problem?   Is this a common issue with all Pre's, or is mine defective and I should trade it in.  I've only had the phone for 2+ weeks.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Pre Plus problem: double-key entry
blamiya1
Novice

There is not much troubleshooting options for your particular issue besides rebooting the device, so in this case it could be a malfunction in your phone therefore a replacement phone may be needed.

0 Likes
homepre

Hi Brittney,

Thanks for the reply. 

Somebody else from Verizon Wireless called me about an hour ago.  She indicated that this problem is fixed in the next webOS update.

I guess I'll wait and see if the problem really is fixed via software.  I have until the end of next week before my 30-day return expires.  Hopefully the update will be pushed out before then.

People are talking about this issue on the Palm website too.  I'm not the only one experiencing the issue.

http://forums.palm.com/t5/webOS-Hardware/Pre-Plus-Keyboard-Problems-Keys-not-being-recognized-or-dou...

Thanks,

-Mike

0 Likes
MrHyde

This issue was reported at Precentral.net.  Numerous people, including myself are/were having trouble with this.  Here is how I solved my problem.  It sounds kind of **bleep** but it actually worked.

Power down the phone.  Open the slider and press your thumb on the keyboard putting enough pressure to press several keys.  Run your thumb across the keyboard several time with this pressure trying to press as many keys as possible.  Do this several times.  If you have any particular keys that are a problem.  press them several times individually.  When you are all done, turn on your phone and check it.

I had alot of double letters, missed letters and double spaces but this fixed it for me.

Good luck

0 Likes
smartphone_user

If only we could get the new software to see why our phones double type everything!!!!!

0 Likes
homepre

a palm support rep saw myy post on the Palm website and called me esterday.  I told him that vzw was claiming that it was a ssoftware problem.  He looked it up and said he couldn't confirm that (ie nothing in the release note claiming that) and offered to replace the phone.  He then asked me lots of qquestions about the problem, and asked if everything else was worrking.

very nice guyy .. Took care of me and said that I could turn the phone in for a new even after the vzw 30 days.   So we agreed to wait for the update and see if the problem still exists.  He gave me a case # if I want to trade it in.  It has a 1 yr warranty.

it sounds like Palm thinks it is a hardware problem.

if you have this problem call vzw to make your claim.  Or Palm.  As you can see above, even vzw will trade it in.  Vzw also called and offered to trade phones.   So do it   don't wait.

0 Likes
bonesb

My take is its a hardware problem. I'm on my fourth device within the first 30 days. The first and third had keyboards that kept repeating keys, 2-5 at a time. There were other issues with the first one, and I'd returned it in a few days. The second was perfect, until the screen cracked from the inside when I was on a call. This last device isn't as good as the second one, but I've learned how to type so that it's not double keying.

My point for posting here is that the 1st/3rd devices had keyboards that were "mushy" toward the center, and the 2nd/4th had/have keypads that have some "snap" or tactile feel that the others didn't, and the last VZW rep I did an exchange with told me that she could feel the difference in the 3rd device and the replacement she issued to me. My take is that Palm does need to adjust the sensitivity of the keypad somewhat, but there's thousands of posts of SPCS users that have had this problem since the phone came out and thousands of posts about keyboard problems for SPCS and VZW users.

I'm going to give this last device a couple of more days and hopefully wait until the 1.4 update comes out, if the repeating key issue continues, I'm pretty much done with Palm for life. My 755p wasn't a peach to use either.

0 Likes
fimam1

yes, this double-letter or no-letter entry problem seems to be all over the place, as is the keyboard simply not working at all, which just happened to me and required a battery removal and replacement before the keyboard would work again. A quick internet search shows this is unfortunately commonplcae, and the new software upgrade did not fix either of these for me.

0 Likes
hitsman

I not only had this problem but a number of others.  I first had a problem with the time - when the phone was in "sleep" mode, the time would actually stop.  I contacted palm and we had to do a "partial delete" and then a restart and all was well.  Then, the battery would only last about 3 hours and that was with NO calls etc.  I researched and there were a number of people who said to drain the battery 3 times and then it should work, NOT.  So I went back to the verizon store and they gave me a new battery.   I then discovered that there was a update available and that one of the issues was the battery problem.  It worked.  However, a couple of days later when a call either came in or I tried to make one, I could here them but they couldn't hear me.  This was all with the issue of the double characters!!!!!  I called Verizon technical support - knowing full well they wouldn't be able to fix this but thought I'd try.  Needless to say I had to get a new phone.  One of the problems that went away was the double characters!!!  I found that the keyboard on the new phone had a much "harder" touch to it and since there is no setting to change on the phone I can only assume you will need to the same.  Hope this helps a bit.

0 Likes
homepre

let us know how that goes.  I too traded my phone for a new one.  However the problem reappeared about 2 weeks later.

if you can - update us in a few weeks.

0 Likes