Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replace DSL with Mobile Hotspot on Palm Pixi Plus?
veteli

I'm seriously thinking about pulling the plug on my Fairpoint DSL and using the Mobile Hotspot feature on my Palm Pixi to serve as my main home Internet connection.  Would this be wise?  What are the considerations I should be thinking about?

One I can think of already is that I use the connection a lot as I work at home and download dictation files of approximately 60 to 100 MB in a workday.  

I understand too that the data usage of the Pixi itself will be deducted from the free 5 GB cap.

I'm thinking about running a day or two of testing just to see how things work and what the usage would be.  If I could pull this off I could save approximately $46 a month from the DSL charge.

Any ideas/suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Replace DSL with Mobile Hotspot on Palm Pixi Plus?
wushu2004
Novice
The 5GB cap should be your most important thing to consider.

Do some tests and get back to us.
0 Likes
veteli

I intend to test it out and will report my findings...will take a week or two...

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Novice

veteli wrote:

I intend to test it out and will report my findings...will take a week or two...

Just remember to turn OFF Hotspot after using it, or your 5G will go alot faster.

0 Likes
veteli

Yup!  I can see the adjustment would be a big one already.  I'm used to always-on Internet access through the Belkin router I have now.

0 Likes
jaymobe07

I would stay with dsl but I don't know the situation you're in or what you use it for.  But If i would carelessly use the internet i would use 5GB up in half month easily. I only get about 750Kbps on hotspot and I have 2.8Mbps dsl so quite a difference for me.

0 Likes
veteli

Yeah, I have already figured out careless usage would cause me to use up 5 GB in a big hurry too.  It is grim to realize that $0.05 overage per MB works out to over $51 per GB overage so no movie downloads of course - not something I'm into anyhow.

I just viewed two product video/demo things with that Derek guy last week here on VZW and that pushed me up to 100 MG on an off day for me - Saturday.  I downloaded a program called Bit Meter to see what my daily usage is like.  Not accounting for the Pixi's data usage itself - I have not got enough information about what it uses while in Mobile Hotspot mode yet - I figure if I can keep a daily cap on average below 165 MG I might sweak by.  My dictation wave files that I download for work can amount to 40 to 100 files a day.  I have not had that many download days to figure an average but these are not huge multimedia files. 

I did call Fairpoint and instead of cancelling out my DSL altogether I switched to an $8.95 a month suspension mode, good for a maximum of nine months, so should I wish to switch it back on there won't be a huge delay and hassle there.  I'm paid up with them a month ahead of course so I'm carrying some credit on that account.  No worries about any bill from them for a little bit anyhow. 

I'm on Mobile Hotspot mode now through my Pixi and I don't detect an appreciable difference in terms of speed.  I did have the higher tier speed mode with Fairpoint.  I suppose I might notice a lag on bigger media files, but then those are the things I should not be downloading anyhow!   No connection issues thus far either, no disconnection warning beeps and such.  Connect it and forget it.  I have been able to clean up my work area by unplugging the Belkin router and DSL modem, lots of cables and two power supplies involved.  I'm happy with that part of it. 

I guess I'm unsure of the durability of the Pixi itself.  Time will tell on that.

Free 5 GB a month Mobile Hotspot for this device is a sweet teaser deal.  With the Storm 2 one gets 2 GB for $20 a month right now.

I'm going to see about running a speed test on this connection as well.  I wrote down some figures from my now-old DSL connection but I have to see if I can remember what site I used for it. 

0 Likes
veteli

More esoteric stuff, just if anybody is curious...

Stats from speedtest.net

Fairpoint DSL                                            Cellco dba VZW, server 50 miles away

Download 2.84 mbps                              Download 0.86 mbps

Upload 0.56 mbps                                   Upload 0.50 mbps

Ping 76 ms                                                Ping 94 ms

The download speed numbers are in stark contrast but in perception I certainly can't tell that Fairpoint's download speeds were actually that much faster if at all.

0 Likes