Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Should I get a Pre Plus?
pastparticiple

I am ready to move into the smartphone world and after playing with the various phones at the Verizon store I have fallen in love with the Pre Plus.  However, I am really concerned about several things.  Recent news about the health of Palm, rumors about Verizon dropping the Palm line altogether, and lots of internet buzz about quality concerns (keyboard, gps and wifi problems, etc.) are adding to my fear that I might end up with a two year contract on an unsupported dud.  Could any of you Pre users out there give me any insight on the following questions?

1.  How is your phone holding up to the rigors of daily use?  Does the screen scratch easily?

2.  Have you experienced any of the horror stories I see online about going through several of these phones in just the first few months of your contract?  

Thanks for any input you can give me.

0 Likes
Re: Should I get a Pre Plus?
hellochristy

I bought my palm pre plus 1/25/10 cuz I have been happy with my palms since I got my first one about 6-7yrs ago.  I was stoked for the newest one!  And then I bought it.  It's neat and has some fun features but I don't use it for the fun features.  I use it for work and email and it has been a little disappointing there.  It barely supports my work apps and usually crashes the phone when I try and I'm still trying to get my email up and running.  I'm not sure it supports OWA at all, as that one is my problem.  The worst part is the technical support. Verizon has no idea how to use the phone and I have been told that maybe I should just get a new email account or buy a new phone (full price at this point).  Also, it brags about the calendar but I cannot get it to sync with any of my calendars.  every event in my calendar is manually put in, and I don't have the option to have different categories like I did with my Palm Treo.  I am sure this is not how it should be but no one seems to be able to tell me how to change that.  The keyboard is hard to use and for some reason it will enter multiple letters when i push the buttons.  The battery is also hard to pull out when I have to hard rebut it (which I have to do often), but I have gotten better at it.  There are touch menus at the top of the screen that I am constantly bumping and turning my phone on airplane mode--sometimes i notice it, and sometimes I don't until I try to make a call or send a text.  Other issues I have are not being able to move the cursor with a button--you have to touch the screen in the right place, and not being able to copy text and paste.  I know there are 'gestures' to do so but they don't work on emails or websites or documents.  You might think I should get the phone replaced--that I just got a bad one, but I have.  I'm on Palm Pre Plus number 3.  Fortuantly, my Treo still works as a PDA so I'm using it for work and just checking my e-mail online--no I'm not.  I rarely check my email online.  I'm just not checking it now.

0 Likes
djsmiles

I have OWA and it was very straightforward to sync.  It had to be done manually, however. In my case, the specifications were on my employer's website.

In terms of the airplane mode issue, this may or may not be accidental on your part. My husband who has the same issue complains of his phone often going into airplane (sometimes as often as every 10 minutes) mode even when untouched. A quick search of the web found that this is a common problem for some Palm Pre owners. Many have related the issue to the 1.4.1 updates and awaiting a corrective update.

0 Likes
yellowcat16

I've had mine for two months now and have had no problems.  I like it.

0 Likes
evancescence112

Well, I think the main reason why people have been having problems with the Pre Plus is because it is used alot for things like work. For example, to me, my battery ife on the palm pre is great. It lasts all day without me having to charge. But that fact might not be the same fore someone who works and has to use the phone pretty much all day, or have to use the phone frequently, in which they give a negitive review on the battery life.

As far as the keyboard, I think its really good. Its very accurate and even with nails (which I have had) you can still use the keyboard well. It is small, but it is very clicky and accurate.

There have been reports of the Pre Plus crashing suddenly or going into airplane mode unexpectedly. I havent had any of these problems. Which just goes back to what I was saying before. It mainly depends on how you use the phone. Its like a computer. Some times if your doing too many things on a computer or working it too hard, it will crash. Same thing with the pre plus, or any phone. Its not that the phone sucks, its how you use it.

0 Likes