Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon Palm Pre Plus - Backup plan???
oldgeekster
Novice

I would imagine one of the first items most of us perform after activating our Palm Pre Plus is to build a Pre user account on the Palm website, and eventually run the "Backup" app.  Today, I finally had time to find out exactly *what* gets backed up and was surprised to find there is a ton of my personal stuff that doesn't get "synched" to their service.  Here is a link to the appropriate knowledgebase article over there:

Using Backup

WHAT??? No Amazon MP3? - As I continued to scroll down the list I found that very little, other than USERNAMES, associated with my apps gets backed up. Several times that document mentions:

"Using USB Drive mode to transfer photos, music, videos, documents, and other files to your phone ." (It provides a link to another knowledgebase article describing how to use the USB drive stuff).

Please understand I am an "Oldie/Newbie" - Old Palm PDA user - New Palm Pre Plus user. (Be gentle). :smileywink:

What is your opinion of the best backup plan or available app to give warm and fuzzies that *all* of the data stored on our Pre smartphones is actually backed up somewhere that can be tapped for later restoration if we have to erase it?

TIA,

-=dave=-

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Verizon Palm Pre Plus - Backup plan???
oldgeekster
Novice

OK, no bites - I guess that is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"? :smileyhappy:

I have continued to look though - and up to this point have a nice little solution for those with Window operating systems:

-----

SyncToy 2.1
Brief Description
SyncToy 2.1 is a free application that synchronizes files and folders between locations. Typical uses include sharing files, such as photos, with other computers and creating backup copies of files and folders.

-----

Once you establish communication with your Palm Pre Plus via USB connection - should be a snap to set up if you understand a bit about file systems.

Unfortunately, (for me), I'll have to keep looking.  Need a solution for Ubuntu Linux. :smileywink:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

OK, no bites - I guess that is why they call it "fishing" and not "catching"? :smileyhappy:

I have continued to look though - and up to this point have a nice little solution for those with Window operating systems:

-----

SyncToy 2.1
Brief Description
SyncToy 2.1 is a free application that synchronizes files and folders between locations. Typical uses include sharing files, such as photos, with other computers and creating backup copies of files and folders.

-----

Once you establish communication with your Palm Pre Plus via USB connection - should be a snap to set up if you understand a bit about file systems.

Unfortunately, (for me), I'll have to keep looking.  Need a solution for Ubuntu Linux. :smileywink:
0 Likes
Drgoodbones

The built-in backup will do more than you seem to think.

It will save critical stuff:  calendar, tasks, contacts, apps, email.

The other stuff (photos, etc.) you might have to manually backup to your computer via the USB.

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/verizon/solutions/article/32633_en.html

As an "old geek" myself migraiting from an old Tungsten e2 I feel your pain.

Dave

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Hi Dave,

I "seem to be" ??

ROTFL - Nope, it does exactly what I think and both of the knowledge base articles we provided links to point out the "critical" information that gets backed up, just as you listed them, and I'm not trying to minimize the importance and sheer "handiness" of that cool little app/service.   MY concern was/is with what doesn't get backed up backed up by it. (I used Amazon MP3's as an example).

Given all of the storage, ( still have about 12 gigs available), my phone will routinely contain photos, docs, jpgs, pdf files, and other items that came into it directly, (read not via one of my own computers), and are NOT included in the Palm backup. 

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/verizon/solutions/article/19170_en.html

Those that came directly to the palm via Wifi and don't yet exist on my notebood/desktop are my only "concern".  Currently I am backing them up manually via USB as recommended - not all that big a deal but I am old, lazy, and I want to automate that process into a "sync" rather than a "copy".  For windows users the free MS "SyncToy" appears to be a good solution.  I will still be looking for something to automate those "must be backed up manually" items under Ubuntu - if it is cool I will share it if not I'll keep my trap shut. :smileywink:

Regards,

-=dave=-

0 Likes
sfabius

I have no idea if it will work, but I use the program unison (http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ ) to sync files. It seems that one could set up a unison profile to sync between the phone (as a USB drive) and a directory on your desktop.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Thank you for that recommendation sfabius.  Found a DEB package for Unison in the Ubuntu Software Center and have just installed it.  (This package included the GTK interface to ease having to drop to the command line in a terminal.  Looks like it will work in similar fashion to the Windows SyncToy, (at least the end result should be the same). Good stuff! :smileyhappy:

-=dave=-

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

For anyone browsing this thread - I was merely trying to point out that the "Backup" App/feature that comes with the Verizon Palm Pre Plus doesn't do the whole job.  The data stored on your phone either manually by you or the App data like your MP3s/photos/etc. are not covered by that feature.  See links to palm KB articles earlier in this thread to find out what IS/ISN'T backed up by it.

Here is a link to an example of a user who lost all of the App data on his phone:

Palm initiated a complete wipe out of my Pre memory requiring restart from scratch

(Actually it was his palm "device" that apparently was at fault, not Palm Inc. - or possibly an inadvertant reset key combination which should be almost impossible to accidentally perform? - Or yet another hardware problem on that specific phone?  Who knows? My point is that "stuff happens" and complete backups, particularly of your important data, are still a must item).

----------

My Pre just decided to wipe it's memory clean and make me start over requiring a digital connection and entry of login credentials.  Lost all my pictures and tons of SplashID login and membership data.  Sprint store tech said he'd never seen such a thing.

It was bad enough that I couldn't get to any of my Pre device applications and data, which I rely on heavily (literally refer to the thing as my brain).  It was catastrophic to learn the application data is lost forever (no, I have not backed-up/copied all that stuff like I should - but under what circumstances is it acceptable for an OS to wipe a system clean?).

If anyone has a suggestion for recovery, please advise.  I'm a 10 year Palm guy - loved the Treo and was willing to put-up with any and all Pre deficiencies thinking it would get to the level of Treo's I've owned.  This little incident is a back breaker.

----------

Bottom line - the Backup App is a wonderful little feature, and will get you back up to basic functionality, but it doesn't do the whole job for you....  When it comes to backing up data that is important to you, a bit of paranoia isn't such a bad thing. :smileywink:

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Just an additional note as a "follow up" on this thread.

Sure enough, I ran into the somewhat infamous WebOS 1.4.0 "my eMail got hung up and I cannot get into my Gmail account on my Palm Pre" bug.  Long story short, I had to do what is referred to as a partial erase - the phone restarted then guided me through having to reinitialize/reconnect it.  It then recovered itself to a pristine (1.4.0 so I use that word advisedly) condition with WebOS and recovered the data stored on Palm via "Backup" also all of the Apps I had "purchased" (including the free ones) from the Palm Store. After another reboot, I had to provide it with passwords for all of my external services, including my username/password for my gMail account.  Had to do the same for several of my Apps too.  Once my GMail account was re-entered, the phone synced both my Gmail and google Calendar data.  (I had to run through reconnecting with FaceBook also, but that wasn't important at that time).

All of this took about an hour - and I should note that the "partial erase" does not wipe out stuff you have saved on your phone like photos, music, new ringtones, etc., that are NOT backed up with Palm - with a full erase those would all have been wiped out and I would have been on my own to either replace or restore them, (which is why I brought up this thread to begin with). If you run Windows there is now a nice little paid App you can buy and install the associated software on your PC to cover what "Backup" doesn't cover.  I won't be evaluating that one.

What I *did* lose was a ton of configuration data such as ringtones associated with specific accounts, and other personal setting like "find me" being set up to GPS only, etc., etc., etc. (That took yet another hour BTW).  Lists of such "stuff" along with passwords/etc. is still a good thing - store it somewhere NOT on your cell phone would be good advice.

I'm still kind of geek-ish, so I also had to manually re-install stuff like "Preware - RTFM beta, etc." and won't go into that part.

Sure am glad I am retired and have plenty of time to mess with this stuff. :smileyindifferent:

OBTW, threads on the eMail problem on Palm kind of died after the WebOS 1.4.1.1 was released by all of the other carriers/providers - so presumably that particular problem will go away for us too - eventually - when Verizon finally releases it - "some time this Summer".  <yawn>

0 Likes
OhioClicker

My contract "runs out" in November.

I have never been so disappointed with a piece of hardware as I am with the Palm Pre Plus. I, still, cannot find a calendar app that shows USA legal holidays.

I would like to do back up on my PC, but no "dependable" software.

Surely is a sad commentary. I started using a Palm PDA over fifteen years ago. How the mighty have fallen.

I think I'll get a "feature" phone that has a calendar and a address book. Maybe I can find a good used Palm PDA and go from there.

Really distressed with the events around my getting a Palm Pre Plus. It was the worst experience that I can remember.

0 Likes
jim1eye

@OhioClicker:

Have you set up a google account to sync with your phone? Google Calendar and Google Contacts sync to the Pre. Google Calendar also has a variety of calendars available including US Holidays. They are also accessible on your PC.

0 Likes