Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon Wireless officially getting the Palm Pre and Pixi...
nmchileman

A spec sheet got leaked today to PhoneArena.com and BoyGeniusReport.com for both the Palm Pre Plus and Pixi Plus.

What makes them plus? The Pre Plus will have 16GB of on-board memory, 8GB more than Sprint's version. The Pixi Plus will have Wi-Fi, besting Sprint's version again. All the other specs mirror Sprint's current versions of both devices.

No official press release or rumored launch date. Both should come soon. I'd ball-park the release date toward the end of Janurary. Pricing? Same, if not better than Sprint's current pricing. $149.99 for the Pre and $99.99 for the Pixi.

Anyone interested? Are there any hardcore Palm users left out there?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless officially getting the Palm Pre and Pixi...
MANNY921

no expandable memory or video recording on palm pre?

i just recently opened 4 line with verizon and didnt want to open the fifth cuz i was gona wait til the pre came to verizon but now ive been redaing that its not gona have neither of those two things. I really like the pre and video recording is a deal breaker for me so i guess ill just go open the fifth line with a droid. UNLESS IM READING IT WRONG OR IM MISSING SOMETHING?

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM SO THAT I CAN CHOOSE MY OTHER LINE?

0 Likes
TallGuy1970

More info from AppleInsider...

Palm announced Thursday it will release two new WebOS-based handsets on the Verizon Wireless network on Jan. 25: the Pre Plus and the Pixi Plus.

The design of the Pre Plus has removed the navigation button found on the Pre, and doubled the internal storage to 16GB of flash memory. Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein said it has simplified navigation in its updated form factor.

The Pixi Plus is dubbed as the "perfect first smartphone." The thin and lightweight starter handset is the same as its predecessor, though the new model includes Wi-Fi. Prices for both devices were not revealed.

Both devices will have the Palm Mobile Hotspot software, which will allow the them to be used as a mobile hotspot, in the same fashion as a MiFi. With the tethering application, up to five devices can connect via Wi-Fi and gain 3G Internet access.

The company will also add video recording, along with a built-in video editor, to WebOS. Users will also be able to directly upload their videos to YouTube and Facebook. Existing WebOS customers with the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi will gain the features in February with WebOS 1.4.

Palm also announced high profile brand name games including Sims 3, Tetris and Need for Speed Undercover are coming to its App Catalog. Full 3D demos from EA franchises were shown, and were apparently ported to the device within "a matter of weeks." The games run on the existing Sprint Palm Pre.

0 Likes
nmchileman

Yup, they officially announced today the release date is Jan 25th.

Out of the box both devices will not support video recording, later on Palm did say it would add this support with a software update.

Sprint's version of the devices don't have removable memory either, so it's not a big surprise VZW's won't.

Manny, I think you're better off with Android anyway. The webOS isn't all that innovative or fun. Android is much more customizable, has more room for growth and overall I'd say it's more powerful. Also, Palm's app catalog is only around 1,000 apps right now while Android has over 15,000.

0 Likes
MANNY921

CHILEMAN  I REALLY WANT A PRE BUT I KEEP HEARIMG ALOT OF TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID THAT ANDROID IS MORE CUSTOMISABLE THAN WEB OS. I guess i really got hooked on it when my older brother got it 4 months ago and i really liked that CARDS, FEATURE that it had maybe ill wait til it comes out and play with it a little more and see how it is with verizon and if i dont like it ill just get a droid thanks for the info chileman.

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate

It all depends on how you look at "customizable".  I have a SDK for PalmOS that was downloaded for free on Palm's website.  I don't have the development kit for Android yet because I don't want to pay the $25 for registering as a developer.  That's how I look at the customization level.  As for the GUI interface, they're both similarly customizable with the exception of multiple home screens.  It should be more about which device meets your needs and will make you happier in the long run.

0 Likes