Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palm pre plus
kmend

My husband and I are thinking about getting the Palm Pre Plus.  We are worried that he won't be able to get used to the small keys.   Are there any men out there with average size hands that have an opinion on this?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: palm pre plus
oldgeekster
Novice

I weigh in at 231 and guess you would say my hands are about "average" size.  My previous phone was an Env3 which has an *EXCELLENT* keyboard.  I bought it specifically to keep up with both of our kids and 5 of the 6 grandkids that all love to text.  I LOVED that phone for the past year, but wanted to finally get fully connected to Verizon 3G and just couldn't wait any longer.  It was a toss up between about 5 of the phones available.  I had tried my daughter's BlackBerry Storm and just couldn't get the virtual keyboard on the touch screen to do what I wanted it to with any form of accuracy.

I was very worried about the small size of my new Palm Pre Plus keyboard, but inside 2 days had "beat it into submission" and actually started enjoying that little sucker! :smileywink:  The little keyboard has a very positive click/feedback feel to it. Some of the special characters are in "odd" positions - like the exclamation point is also the "J" key? After a while my thumbs started just going to the right key and I could again what what I was typing as it appeared on the screen instead of constantly looking at the keyboard.

It will never be as pleasant to operate the new Pre Plus keyboard as the Env3 was - but if you give yourself time to get used to it, chances are your husband will also forget to complain and just focus on using it without thinking.

Of course, you mileage may vary and you may be out 30-35 bucks in service fees to change over to a different phone, but IMHO its worth it to give it long enough to give yourself a chance TO get used to it.

I can't "beat" any of my teenage granddaughters when it comes to texting with the new one, but then I couldn't do so with the old one either. :smileyvery-happy:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheGreatOne

kmend wrote:

My husband and I are thinking about getting the Palm Pre Plus.  We are worried that he won't be able to get used to the small keys.   Are there any men out there with average size hands that have an opinion on this?

You both have 30 days to try out any phone on Verizon. If he decides he gets the Pre and then doesn't like the keys, he can just exchange the phone for another new different phone. He is not stuck with it.Just make sure the exchange is within 30 days. Also he may want to consider going into his local Verizon store.Have him look at the phone on display. Play around with the phone and see if the keys are a good fit.

0 Likes
kmend

Would be still get a "new every 2" discount on the second phone?

0 Likes
TheGreatOne

kmend wrote:

Would be still get a "new every 2" discount on the second phone?

If he were to pick another phone that is cheaper then the Pre, then he would get some money back. If he picks a more expensive phone than the Pre,then he would have to pay more money to get that device. Even if he does make an exchange, yes he still is qualified for an upgrade every 2 years.

0 Likes
M91-30
Novice

TheGreatOne wrote:

kmend wrote:

You both have 30 days to try out any phone on Verizon. If he decides he gets the Pre and then doesn't like the keys, he can just exchange the phone for another new different phone. He is not stuck with it.Just make sure the exchange is within 30 days. Also he may want to consider going into his local Verizon store.Have him look at the phone on display. Play around with the phone and see if the keys are a good fit.

don't forget the $35 charge for this "convenience". I sat down (in a chair) and used the display omnia 2 for quite a while (like 45-60 minutes) seeing how easy it was to use (very for me) and making sure it would do what I expected it to. I also made it a point to use the keyboard, ect. this is important when choosing such an investment (it's $30 a month, remember). good luck, and expect your husband to be playing with his new "toy" for quite a while.

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

I weigh in at 231 and guess you would say my hands are about "average" size.  My previous phone was an Env3 which has an *EXCELLENT* keyboard.  I bought it specifically to keep up with both of our kids and 5 of the 6 grandkids that all love to text.  I LOVED that phone for the past year, but wanted to finally get fully connected to Verizon 3G and just couldn't wait any longer.  It was a toss up between about 5 of the phones available.  I had tried my daughter's BlackBerry Storm and just couldn't get the virtual keyboard on the touch screen to do what I wanted it to with any form of accuracy.

I was very worried about the small size of my new Palm Pre Plus keyboard, but inside 2 days had "beat it into submission" and actually started enjoying that little sucker! :smileywink:  The little keyboard has a very positive click/feedback feel to it. Some of the special characters are in "odd" positions - like the exclamation point is also the "J" key? After a while my thumbs started just going to the right key and I could again what what I was typing as it appeared on the screen instead of constantly looking at the keyboard.

It will never be as pleasant to operate the new Pre Plus keyboard as the Env3 was - but if you give yourself time to get used to it, chances are your husband will also forget to complain and just focus on using it without thinking.

Of course, you mileage may vary and you may be out 30-35 bucks in service fees to change over to a different phone, but IMHO its worth it to give it long enough to give yourself a chance TO get used to it.

I can't "beat" any of my teenage granddaughters when it comes to texting with the new one, but then I couldn't do so with the old one either. :smileyvery-happy:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
oldgeekster
Novice

Noted your thread is now listed as "Solved", hopefully in your favor! :smileyvery-happy:

Have only had my Palm Pre Plus since March 25th, (or about 10 days now), and am finally very proficient with the little keyboard. My kids/grandkids and I have literally exchanged hundreds of text messages, so you might say I have been on an "accelerated learning curve". :smileywink:

0 Likes