All SMS and MMS messages deleted
DucksDroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have a Thunderbolt and am using Handcent for SMS/MMS.  The messages managed to delete themselves tonight.  I simply opened Handcent and all gone.  Not one, but ALL SMS and MMS.  I had an Droid (1) and had the same problem happen twice.  I also have a Droid X and have not experienced the problem.  My understanding is that the messages are being read from the messaging service of the operating system and are not stored in Handcent, the app does have the ability to delete the messages.  So, I am not sure if the problem is related to Handcent, an OS bug, or a setting that I can change.  ,Does anyone know of a cause or resolution for this problem?

0 Likes
Re: All SMS and MMS messages deleted
DragonNighthawk

I'm trying to find an answer to this issues as well. I woke up this morning and ALL of my SMS/MMS were gone. I had a blackberry storm 2 before the Thunderbolt, and when it did a system update, it wiped all unsaved MMS messages. If I can locate an answer as to why this happened, I'll post it.

0 Likes
nycgeek

I have a Droid Thunderbolt and the same thing just happened to me. FURIOUS!

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
There was another person who created a topic mins ago too.
0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I posted this on another board.

Maybe there's something wrong with where and how it stores it. Ohhh yeah the software update was suppose to fix it so when it came out the known issue the list decreased because its solved with update. They go into a wrong place. Its a thought but I remember someone telling me that. I don't know if that's what happened to u. Do a factory reset it cures minor glitches not just about network. If after that get replacement if u have insurance u get quicker shipping 1 day. No insurance then slower unless they do an exception. New policy I heard.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I do aknowledge that this not as the solution wanted but since this appears to be a bug with handcent and it appears to be caused by the app you can either remove the app or invest into a backup app like MyBackup or Sprite Backup that allows you to back information daily so thiey can be restored if this happens again..  Also there is a number of free apps on the market that can backup SMS but MMS seems to be a issue for some apps.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I'll tell you it's not handsent. I tried it on my Droid X and removed it soon after downloading. I had the same problem happen to me twice on my Thunderbolt before the update. I havn't had it happen again since but I've also had three replacement devices since as well... 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I am very happy with the SMS Backup & Restore application. It is currently scheduled to backup nightly. I haven't lost any sms messages to date. In fact I recently restored all my saved messages from the Aria and the Eris onto the Thunderbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes