Android Market Error
elisha

Every few days (or every few attempts) when I try to go to the market for some apps, I get a white screen that reads "Market needs background data to be enabled." The funny thing is, it's enabled and it will eventually correct itself without any help from me, however I don't want to wait a few days for it to go back to normal. I don't know what to do and it's kind of **bleep** me off. I never get anything like that on my ipad (and I was talked into getting the htc thunderbolt over the iphone4 by the sales girl at a best buy cell phone store in the mall, already found out she lied about so many freakin' things.)  I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this, if it's something the android market does frequently or if it's just my phone, and what I can do about it. 

Thanks for any help. Sorry if it's been posted before, I didn't really know what to search for.  

0 Likes
Re: Android Market Error
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Happened to me constantly lately and I feel the way u do. They just replaced my phone again but I asked after so many replacements to get out of it but nope. Do u have the new market with books and movies? That's what I have now.
0 Likes
Elitist_Jerk
Contributor - Level 2

see if your market is on your sd card, if it is move it back to your phone

maybe try a master reset and format sd card

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

gina7289 wrote:
Happened to me constantly lately and I feel the way u do. They just replaced my phone again but I asked after so many replacements to get out of it but nope. Do u have the new market with books and movies? That's what I have now.

Might consider stop getting a replacement device when nothing is wrong with yours, this error is a network error that happens when the data goes dormant, so many are wasting their time with this replace the device for everything..

Next time try rebooting or cycle airplane mode to resolve..

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I didn't ask for one but thats what they thought was the only answer. I went for hours without being able to use the market. Is this a only 4g phone thing.
0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
BTW It happened right after I turned on the phone.
0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good afternoon and thank you to the community for your suggestions!

elisha, I know you have tried several different things to resolve this issue, but I don't see you have tried to reset the Market application.  Have you already tried this?  If not, please follow the steps below.

1. From the Home screen, select the applications tab (lower-left corner).

2. Select Settings.

3. Select Applications.

4. Select Manage applications.

5. Select the application. (Market)

6. Select Force stop then select Clear data.

7. Select OK.

Once this is completed, please try restarting your device, and you should stop getting the error message when attempting to access the Market.  

Reset device:

1. Press and hold down the Power button (upper-right corner).

2. Select Power off.

3. Press the Power key to power on the device.

If you need additional assistance, please send me a Private message and  I will be happy to help you!

Thank you,

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
How can u get background data error with ut checked or a message that there no signal network error but i had 4g 3bars unless there something wrong with the market downloaded update. Ive done factory reset and just reboot.

Do u all have the new market?
0 Likes
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

Sometimes background data gets turned off when the power is low and it doesn't always get set back on when charged Still like everyone else says this isn't a big deal...

Mike

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Try going to Settings / Power / Power Saver Settings / Uncheck Disable Background Data and reboot and you should have issue any longer..

gina7289 wrote:
How can u get background data error with ut checked or a message that there no signal network error but i had 4g 3bars unless there something wrong with the market downloaded update. Ive done factory reset and just reboot.

Do u all have the new market?

You may already know this but for the record your bars reflects you network signal but does not reflect data signal, at this time there is no method the measure LTE data signal except the 4G or 3G icon...

Elitist_Jerk wrote:

see if your market is on your sd card, if it is move it back to your phone

maybe try a master reset and format sd card

System files wont allow you to move them to the SD Card to avoid issues..  Android Market is a preinstalled app..

0 Likes