Antivirus needed?
jgorton123

Do I need an antivirus for my thunderbolt?

0 Likes
Re: Antivirus needed?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I would recommend one. This has been discussed extensively in the DROID apps section and others if you want specifics.

Some light reading to get you started.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Apps/Google-pulls-Market-apps-with-root-exploit-one-patched-in-AOS...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Apps/Update-on-Android-Attack-Fake-Android-security-fix-is-really/...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I think in my Humble oppinion were all going to have it sooner or Later as Ann pointed out as these little computers we pute in back Pocket get more an more things on them. An those Dirty Little Pesky people that want to steel our life Right out from under us an our Money. So its your Call if your life revolves around your phone meaning you do every thing on it from paying bills an other Critical things on it. Socializing on it. Face Book , Twitter . would'nt be a bad thing to have. Hope i Helped. Ya. an good luck with your T-Bolt.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

meh, it's all personal preference but you can't beat good ol common sense.  Antivirus is there mainly for more of a placebo effect to make us feel safer.  The companies make $texas off of that fact and their products aren't even 100% guaranteed to work.  I work in IT and see more infections and other crud on PC's that were supposedly "protected".  

The fact that malware made it into the Android market is disappointing but just take a look at the list of those apps. If you downloaded one of them, you pretty much deserved to get hacked.  Paris Hilton Sex Sounds? Seriously?  Read reviews and look for well known apps.  Look at the permissions before installing.  When in doubt, google the app.  If you sideload apps outside of the Android Market, don't just install something because it sounds or looks cool.   

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Does Verizon itself recommend a version of antivirus that is most compatable with the Thunderbolt? (Lookout, AVG, Kaspersky Labs, Norton, Trend Micro)

0 Likes
jgorton123

I am trying avg............it's free and I have a free version of avg for my pc as well and it's worked for me.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I use Kaspersky Internet Security for my PC but Lookout Mobile Security seems to be the one that has the best reviews. It's also free:smileyvery-happy: and there's a paid version with more features. I just was wondering if Verizon techs had done any testing for compatibility issues.:smileywink:

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Lookout was featured once in one of the DROID commercials. I think it does show up listed in the Verizon section/tab of the Market.

I have Lookout on my current phone. Had it before the commercial. Ha. The free AVG DroidSecurity is hanging out on other phone (see signature).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

How do you like Lookout?    Does it cause anything "funky"?   Does it eat battery life?   Questions you probably can't answer about a Tbolt (doesn't show as one of your devices :smileysad:)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
But my current phone is an HTC phone. I would have to say that Lookout has been one of the most stable of Apps if not the most stable I have had on my phone. This is through a few factory resets (all done by choice for varying reasons). It has reinstalled from the Market each time and uninstall when I tested AVG DroidSecurity a few months back on my current phone.

I also haven't had any big issues with AVG DroidSecurity either. I am still learning the ins and outs of the application though.

0 Likes