BLOATWARE
Jimbodaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2
Re: BLOATWARE
Jimbodaddy
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ooopsie. Forgot why I started this to begin with.

So my problem is not necessarily with the bloatware itself. Don't get me wrong, I dislike it in general. I'm certain VZW gets paid for forcing third party junk upon us. Can't blame someone for wanting to make some money.

My issue is with not being able to turn off automatic updates for some of these apps which I don't use. VSW Navigator is one. Google Navigate is my preferred app for that. TuneWiki is another. I've tried in several different locations looking for a way to turn off automatic updates for these useless apps which take up space on my phone.

I manage to catch them in mid-download and stop them, but I shouldn't have to. So here's the deal. VZW got paid for placing the app on the phone, and at least a certain amount of us have opened them to see what they're about. How about letting us remove the apps once we've opened them at least once? Does that make any sense? Isn't the general idea to have this stuff pre loaded for demo purposes? If we open them once and like it, we keep it. If we open it once then decide it's not for us, then the second time we open it, give us the option to COMPLETELY remove the app. Kind of a win-win. The devs get the exposure they paid for, and we get the choice, while VZW gets paid.
0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to add a "me too"  here.  I'm annoyed at getting notifications to update applications like Blockbuster and LetsGoGolf. 

My idea is that if you don't use them for 60 days off they go.  If you change your mind you can always get them back from the Android market.

Verizon isn't going to give up revenue associated with putting third party applications on its phones, and the developers know that some percentage of the customer base actually likes their products. 

For those of us who are not interested, a quick way to opt out after two months would give everyone the best of both worlds.  Verizon and the developers could make money promoting their stuff and some of us could avoid endless nag notices from apps we don't want.

thechuck

Just another reason to root your phone. I am waiting until the warranty is up, then I can fix this {word filter avoidance}.

0 Likes