Battery Exploded
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

My HTC Thunderbolt was powering itself off when the internal battery monitor showed a 50% charge, so I ran a google search. One "Tip" suggested removing the battery pack and checking it for bulges. Sure enough, the battery pack is bulging. It went on to suggest that a cell inside the battery has exploded, and that I should not place it back in my device.

I'm not sure what to do from this point. The battery is model BTR6400B.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery Exploded
B33
Legend

As Big E stated, on the battery if you've had the battery for a long time past it's warranty period it's best to find one online or they may have that battery at Like Best Buy..

Here's the standard Thunderbolt Battery Via Amazon..  I searched using the Number you Provided  

http://www.amazon.com/New-Oem-Btr6400B-Battery-Thunderbolt/dp/B0051VHZW4

View solution in original post

B33
Legend

That is Correct don't reinstall it)   Make sure you handle the Battery Cautiously, just as an added pre-caution I would use gloves and put it into a container of some sort, Then call your Local landfill or Call the your Local Verizon Corporate store and ask them to Dispose of for you.. Don't just throw it in the Trash..

0 Likes
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I put the battery in an altoids tin and set it aside. I know that it's illegal to dispose of such things in the garbage. By not knowing what to do from this point, I meant get my phone working again. The phone itself is not damaged.I believe I've been paying for TEC Asurion, but the reps at the local verizon store are jerks. When I went in to buy a screen protector, they told me to buy a new phone.  I'm very happy with my phone and it's current features, my only problem is an exploded battery. Should I ask for a manager or get an appointment before going in, to avoid a snarky clerk?

B33
Legend

Na you don't half to go the appointment Route, If you'd rather talk to a Manager that should be no problem as long as there's one Free to help ya but more in likely they'll put ya back with a Rep again as this has happen lately with me I think it just way of the new way the stores are handling paper work and such.. As for the battery if Verizon still has then in stock at the Ware House they'll send ya one but if there not stocking them any longer then you'll more in likely will have to find one on Amizon or like through a On-Line site Like Droid Life..

0 Likes
a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you know If the insurance would cover this?

0 Likes
Not applicable

For what trouble you are going through it is doubtful the battery will be replace by Asurion.

Just go online or to the Verizon store or any retailer that sells batteries for that make of device and just buy it yourself.

You will avoid a whole lot of headaches.

Good Luck

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A replacement battery for the HTC Thunderbolt won't be available from Verizon Wireless anymore. I would suggest checking Amazon, eBay, and other online retailers for a new battery.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep that is what I told the poster. I remember a online site like Battery World or something like that. Wonder if it still operates?

B33
Legend

As Big E stated, on the battery if you've had the battery for a long time past it's warranty period it's best to find one online or they may have that battery at Like Best Buy..

Here's the standard Thunderbolt Battery Via Amazon..  I searched using the Number you Provided  

http://www.amazon.com/New-Oem-Btr6400B-Battery-Thunderbolt/dp/B0051VHZW4

a_baker
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went ahead and ordered one off amazon, as suggested. However, I had to take my mom to a Doctor's appointment out in Eastlake CA, so I went to that store, just in case. The difference between that store and the Chula Vista H street location was night and day. First, they had the phones lined up for view/display, they had friendly staff, and even better, no waiting. Unfortunately I can't remember how to spell the associates name who helped me, but she took a ton of time to try and save me money on my bill. Considering I only went in for an exploded battery, I was impressed. I'm going to be able to drop $20 from my bill!

Specifically, this was at:

2015 Birch Rd #1805

It only took them about two minutes to check on the battery. I totally understand why they can't get a three year old battery. I was just hoping to cut out the middle man of Amazon.

They had pretty poor reviews on Google, which just boggles the mind. I've rarely received better customer service.