Battery after most recent update
budone
Legend

I was asked by a member how muy TB is after the update. As I have posted in other threads, i no longer have reboots and I no longer have data drops.

As for the battery I have done a couple tests. The first day I logged into a radio station to see how long the battery would last. It lasted 3-1/2 hrs.

Yesterday I used the phone normally. At 8% of battery left, the phone had been on for 24 hrs with just short of 3 hrs of use.

0 Likes
Re: Battery after most recent update
NightWatcher

I can say my battery life has gone down considerably....  and just to note I am using the HTC Extended Battery...

Prior to the July 8th update... on my drive to work in the morning the battery goes from 100% to 99%..  if I am running shopkick it might e 98%....  since the update without shipkick running still below 95% by the time I get to work....

I work with mobile devices for a living and know that anything showing as running is eating resources...  even if the display says it isn't...

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

You can't really judge by the time from 100%.  The battery gauge is lying to you.  When you pull it off the charger, there's probably a 99% chance that it's already lower than 100% and possibly as low as 95% due to the way it charges.

0 Likes
NightWatcher

PJNC284 wrote:

You can't really judge by the time from 100%.  The battery gauge is lying to you.  When you pull it off the charger, there's probably a 99% chance that it's already lower than 100% and possibly as low as 95% due to the way it charges.

I am running off a wall charger not a usb or car charger and that is normally accurate after  night of charging....  if it is not accurate from that there are other design issues..  and why would it have been accurate before and not now for the same situation....  I know there is a flaw in the car charger charging causing it to be off.. but have never heard of it happening with the wall charger.. can I ask where you are getting your info.. would like to read about that one myself...

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It likely wasn't right before either.  The charging calibration can also get off by installing an update without a full charge which is why they usually want you to have a full charge or put it through a full charge/discharge cycle.  Even in the wall charger, it uses a trickle charge. It'll get to 100% drop down to 95% and go back up so when you remove it, you could already be down 5% and the battery gauge just hadn't caught up.  Same reason that you can reboot and lose 15%+.  It isn't that a reboot uses that much battery but that you weren't getting an accurate reading. The image below shows the voltage drop while plugged into the wall and charging.  I'll post a juice plotter graph of the actual battery percentage in the morning.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

the best way to judge (in my opinion) is to monitor your up times and awake times for about a week. if you can get the same 2.5-3 hours of actual use (that's about what i get) and 10+ of idle time on top of that, then it likely didn't affect the battery. i don't pay much attention to my battery monitor. i look at the end of the day and see if i got my 3 hours of use and it's not dead yet, then it's runnin fine. i don't care if it starts by showing 100% or 89%......as long as i get through a day and get my normal usage, then that's really the best way to gauge it.

0 Likes
Tboltaz
Contributor - Level 1

budone wrote:

I was asked by a member how muy TB is after the update. As I have posted in other threads, i no longer have reboots and I no longer have data drops.

As for the battery I have done a couple tests. The first day I logged into a radio station to see how long the battery would last. It lasted 3-1/2 hrs.

Yesterday I used the phone normally. At 8% of battery left, the phone had been on for 24 hrs with just short of 3 hrs of use.

Although I havent checked my battery stats, it seems like my battery is draining way quicker than before the OTA. Another thing I've noticed is when my battery gets down to about 35% or less, it drains VERY quickly, even when not being used. I've tried using only wifi when it gets that low and it STILL drains within a few minutes. I have 3 battery's; the OEM 1400 mAh, and 2 of the 1700 mAh non-OEM battery's, and it happens no matter which battery im using. Overall the update did help alot, and I wasn't expecting the battery life to improve with the MR2 OTA, which is why I have 3 battery's. Gingerbread on the other hand I do have high hopes of better battery life.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Fresh from the update here. Strangely enough, I had a random shutoff last night about 9:30 pm. I had rebooted the phone between Friday and last night several times for various reasons including one forced reboot that the phone decided to do.

Baseband 1.39.00.0627r, 0.01.69.0625r
Build number 1.70.605.0
PRL 15011

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Ann154 wrote:
Fresh from the update here. Strangely enough, I had a random shutoff last night about 9:30 pm. I had rebooted the phone between Friday and last night several times for various reasons including one forced reboot that the phone decided to do.

Baseband 1.39.00.0627r, 0.01.69.0625r
Build number 1.70.605.0
PRL 15011

please keep us posted. i've seen mixed reviews on the battery life since the update.....and the gold looks nice on your screen name!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks AZ!

As for battery life, I guess I should unplug the phone from the charger cord I keep at work, eh? I have determined I spend WAY TOO much time in the community. My display on times are high enough to drain quite a bit of life out of the battery. :smileysad: :smileywink:

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes